+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: $5000 Discount on 2005 build 380's

Default $5000 Discount on 2005 build 380's

I just found out from a Mitsubishi dealer today that there is a $5000 factory bonus on all 2005-plated 380's!

Didn't the Mitsubishi Australia CEO just pledge last month never to discount their cars? Then they released the 380 Limited Edition for $29,990+ORC, which is already a $5000 discount + more options added, over the RRP of a base 380.

Now it seems that all their '05 models have received the same $5000 price chop.
    For example, a brand new 380 LS (RRP $43,800 drive-away, is now $38,800)

How does this translate to resale values, which I'm sure Mitsubishi is trying to improve with the 380 range. Wasn't that one reason why they ditched the "Magna" nameplate too?

As a former owner of 2 KS's, and a current owner of a KH, I must say that the 380 continues the trend of quiet, smooth and elegant family cars, but unfortunately some of Mitsubishi Australia's marketing strategies are just plain strange!

Did anybody realise that during the Magna runout late last year, dealers were sticking "SOLARA" stickers, adding alloys and spoiler to ES's? Thus meaning that there are the "genuine" factory-released TL Solaras which have 16-inch ten-spoke alloys, a spoiler, and a few upmarket bits inside.......on the other hand you have the "dealer-fitted" Solara pack which has only 15-inch alloys, spoiler, and no added extras inside, because the car was originally an ES! I think some still have the ES badge sitting under the newly added Solara sticker. Strange.

Quote Originally Posted by jzt
    Did anybody realise that during the Magna runout late last year, dealers were sticking "SOLARA" stickers, adding alloys and spoiler to ES's? Thus meaning that there are the "genuine" factory-released TL Solaras which have 16-inch ten-spoke alloys, a spoiler, and a few upmarket bits inside.......on the other hand you have the "dealer-fitted" Solara pack which has only 15-inch alloys, spoiler, and no added extras inside, because the car was originally an ES! I think some still have the ES badge sitting under the newly added Solara sticker. Strange.
    These are STILL for sale - I saw some on carsales.com the other day - you can pick them a mile off by their pale ES interior colours - the genuine TL/TW Solaras came with dark Charcoal and Black interiors.

As for the $5,000 off - same deal goes for 05 Falcodores at the moment - nothing all that unusual...
    Don't judge me by my composure because I'm lying to myself...

As for the original Mitsu pricing I think that whoever thought they could have the prices they originally wanted is f*ked in the head. The pricing should have started at $30,490 for the 380 (basemodel) manual sedan and $31,990 for the auto. Alloys should be standard on base model and that would do it. If that had been the case they would have sold more in the first month and all the fleet 380's would give a better impression to other people on the road. And atleast if they were selling more from the start, these discounts wouldn't occur, and if the pricing was around $4 - $5k cheaper across the range then this discounting probably not need occur, and if it did - it wouldn't seem such a huge markdown in $$$$.

But as you'll see, Mitsu were forced to discount, but, if they were smart and looked at what other makes were doing they would should have originally scaled down there prices to figures mentioned above. This way they could have stuck to there word on not discounting and people who have now paid the original price wouldn't feel so shafted. I just hope Mitsubishi learns there lesson if they do release Series II this year by slightly reducing there prices by $2k - $4k across the range, as discounting shouldn't be a problem as Toyota won't need to with the new Camry, neither should Holden (well we can hope they have to because the 380 is going to be in direct competition with the UGLY VE ).

anyway,, lets see how things plan out, hope Mitsubishi 380 sales (and other Mitsu models) continue rising; which I'm sure they will - especially with the new models coming out being:
    -updated Colt (that actually is an improvement on the last model)
    -All new Triton (that looks HOT as, has like 6 airbags (i think) and ESP - very well equipped ute/suv).
    -Updated Pajero with the MIVEC 3.8, some new interior and new rear/front bumpers and slight other exterior mods (xenon lights apparently).
    -Colt Ralliart and Cabriolet
    -New outlander either Q4 2006 or Q1 2007, best SUV ever, is currently outselling RAV4 in Japan, very very (amazing vehicle) with 6 speed auto, ESP, 6 airbags, 650w audio with 30Gig HDD for Mp3s.
    -380 Ralliart meant to be released early Q3 as well as an updated/revised 380 range shortly after (apparenltly LS may get dropped/replaced?)

So yeah, with these events, I think Mitsu should be able to feel secure for a bit. Lets just hope that they actually advertise all models, ESPECIALLY the 380 during these upgrades and that the Ralliart 380 is only like $47,990 and NO MORE DISCOUNTING!.

Quote Originally Posted by jzt
    I just found out from a Mitsubishi dealer today that there is a $5000 factory bonus on all 2005-plated 380's!

Didn't the Mitsubishi Australia CEO just pledge last month never to discount their cars? Then they released the 380 Limited Edition for $29,990+ORC, which is already a $5000 discount + more options added, over the RRP of a base 380.

Now it seems that all their '05 models have received the same $5000 price chop.
    For example, a brand new 380 LS (RRP $43,800 drive-away, is now $38,800)

How does this translate to resale values, which I'm sure Mitsubishi is trying to improve with the 380 range. Wasn't that one reason why they ditched the "Magna" nameplate too?

As a former owner of 2 KS's, and a current owner of a KH, I must say that the 380 continues the trend of quiet, smooth and elegant family cars, but unfortunately some of Mitsubishi Australia's marketing strategies are just plain strange!

At toowong(brisbane) 3 new magna wagons are for sale ,today,from $23,990 rrp (13,500 off) with sports mode automatic.They been running the ad for some time.Much be hard to sell.

Being magna wagons though, they would of been sitting there for ages, so its not unusal for that much to be taken off to try get rid of them.

Quote Originally Posted by adz89
    As for the original Mitsu pricing I think that whoever thought they could have the prices they originally wanted is f*ked in the head. The pricing should have started at $30,490 for the 380 (basemodel) manual sedan and $31,990 for the auto. Alloys should be standard on base model and that would do it. If that had been the case they would have sold more in the first month and all the fleet 380's would give a better impression to other people on the road. And atleast if they were selling more from the start, these discounts wouldn't occur, and if the pricing was around $4 - $5k cheaper across the range then this discounting probably not need occur, and if it did - it wouldn't seem such a huge markdown in $$$$.

But as you'll see, Mitsu were forced to discount, but, if they were smart and looked at what other makes were doing they would should have originally scaled down there prices to figures mentioned above. This way they could have stuck to there word on not discounting and people who have now paid the original price wouldn't feel so shafted.
    I wholeheartedly agree. Wheels stated in their COTY issue that it should be cheaper.

Really I don't WTF they were thinking with those prices.

Quote Originally Posted by Vormund
    I wholeheartedly agree. Wheels stated in their COTY issue that it should be cheaper.

Really I don't WTF they were thinking with those prices.
    And if the pricing was cheaper then what it is perhaps the 380 would have won Wheels COTY. If they wanted to charge $34,490 for a base model with manual transmission then perhaps they should have stayed with the long-wheel-base vehicle they invested $200,000,000 into.

I think it's incredibly disconcerting to hear this news. That bloody CEO says "no discounting" when it's going on behind his back... Mitsubishi should send Rob McEniry to Iraq as their new transport minister...

In fact Alan Mance Mitsubishi in Footscray is advertising 2 brand new VRX's at $31,990!!!

This is Magna all over again. I was gonna go tell them exactly what I thought yesterday - but they'd sold them!!!

This is all bad publicity. Fleets will be turned off as this is exactly what happened with Magna thus they lost money. Those who have already bought a 380 will be feeling dudded. Not many will want a 380 at it's RRP - they'll wait until the next annual discounting due when Toyota and Holden release their 380 eaters.

Still let us hope someone over there at Tonsley Park gets a kick up the a**e and treats the upcoming 'update' with more respect. Have pride in your product, for God's sake!

Yeah. The 380GT is also going for like $41,990 driveaway (brandnew - '05 models 8kms for delivery only). There is one with 1,400km on the clock for $40,490 which is dirt cheap, (and in black too! ). Damn, if I had the cash I would be running to one. Though yes, the cuts are big, '06 stock probably won't depreciate as much as there is that much '05 stock left. So hopefully a SII does come this year with some exterior difference and lower RRP pricing. The perception of exterior difference is what could save resale as regardless of it being '05, '06 or '07 people are going to see it as the same car if there is no difference when seen on the road and an '06 model won't be worth that much more then an '05 model. All Mitu need to do is to change something about those backlights, perhaps make them like Volvo style or something like that. LEDS would also be nice. The front is good acutally just perhaps make the standard model have a slight tint in regard to the colour of the vehicle (light, medium, dark). The SII needs interior differation, perhaps the metallic black (ala the Galant Ralliart along with a glossy finish) style dash, centre column, etc and rear grab handles. Just as long as it looks different and people could be able to tell the difference between that and series I is all that matters. They could also intergrate the GPS unit atop the dash for those who pay extra for it, rather then dismantling the whole dash as if it was added after.

Quote Originally Posted by adz89
    .....if they were smart and looked at what other makes were doing they would should have originally scaled down there prices to figures mentioned above..... as discounting shouldn't be a problem as Toyota won't need to with the new Camry, neither should Holden.....that the Ralliart 380 is only like $47,990 and NO MORE DISCOUNTING!.
    I think MMAL was caught by suprise a little on the pricing of the 380 - as the 380 is the first of the "next gens", the other 3 manufacturers were able to discount their already established current models, plus they have the cash reserves to do it. Additionally, as MMAL is so cash strapped, the best profit margins are made on upper spec models, and I think they may have hoped to collect a quick buck and underestimated the demand for the product here.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information