+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: 'Mitsubishi acts to remedy 380 botch'

Default 'Mitsubishi acts to remedy 380 botch'

Good to see they are using a common sense approach to the problem instead of the some of the knee jerk reactions of the past.

I'll be interested to see what they do. Keep us posted FF..
    Why do people who know the least, know it the loudest?

This is fantastic news; considering that they succesfully relaunch it. The only thing that is killing it at the moment is style. Some people complain about the front, but it seems everyone complains about the rear (not so much on VRX and GT models).

If they could relaunch it, creating further differentiation between models and making it more stylish as well as providing additonal features on the GT and LX to make them stand out from the pack and improve RRP pricing they'd sell well. How the article goes on about a bad time to bring a 6 cylinder to the market, I don't see how it is any different now (For example, in Adelaide petrol was 146.9 cents p/litre yesterday!). So the only way they can maintain success when fuel prices fluctuate so much is to introduce a '240' (aka 4 cylinder model).

I wonder when they will actually properly re-launch the 380? They better do it soon (May/June and July at the latest); as the longer they leave it the larger amount of money they will be losing

Can we say ralliart versions etc???

the rear end should stay square but instead of oval lights, they should have round lights.
    OLD - 1996 MITSUBISHI MAGNA TE Sedan Altera 4dr Auto 4sp 3.0i. A/C, C/L, C/C, P/W-F&R, P/S, Embassy Gun Metal Grey.

NEW - 2004 TL Sedan 4dr SA 5sp AWD 3.5i. A/C, C/L, C/C, P/W-F&R, P/S, ABS, White

Quote Originally Posted by h45e
    Can we say ralliart versions etc???

the rear end should stay square but instead of oval lights, they should have round lights.
    Yeah, I reckon Ralliart is a definet yes, if not atleast some more oomph for the VRX/GT engines. At the same time they are going to revise the rest of the line up; hopefully adding even more features to the models and improving the styling as well.

I really hope it is the Ralliart as it will help give the 380 some guts (if you know what I mean); that is considering it has the MIVEC 3.8.

By the way, I don't know if any of you have been reading Wheels magazine but I read an article regarding the new boss. His plan is to bring forward release dates of products so Australia doesn't have to wait so long for new Mitsubishi products. He wants the new Outlander (Japan's no.1 selling SUV), the Mitsubishi 'i' (mini-car; amazing fuel economy) and the Colt Ralliart here by the end of this year. If he gets his way Mitsubishi's line up will become very very competitve.

The Pajero is also getting a face-lift this year, so it looks like the Lancer is the only thing that isn't going to be touched for now. The all-new Lancer is meant to be getting released in other countries later this year, but, we won't probably see it until mid-late next year. And if any of you have seen the new Lancer, well I a can say about it is YUM!

apparently they where planning a 190kw VRX for this series II re-launch however they also wanted a number of imported model launches to be brought forward, particularly the outlander. Therefore they where faced with the decision to either put their engineering resources into a 190kw VRX or getting the new outlander and a manual 3door version of the colt and the ralliart colt up to ADR compliance. In the end they decided that the outlander would add around 500 extra units per month on its own, let alone the new colt models, to their sales whereas a 190kw VRX would only add around 100, therefore simple mathamatics tells you which option they chose.

Expect a 190kw VRX either at the end of the year or early next year.

source: wheels magazine

Did anyone attend the press conference today?

To me they seem to have missed the point entirely..

The cars still dont differentiate all that much between the models (physically on the outside)

Quote Originally Posted by adz89
    By the way, I don't know if any of you have been reading Wheels magazine but I read an article regarding the new boss. His plan is to bring forward release dates of products so Australia doesn't have to wait so long for new Mitsubishi products. He wants the new Outlander (Japan's no.1 selling SUV), the Mitsubishi 'i' (mini-car; amazing fuel economy) and the Colt Ralliart here by the end of this year. If he gets his way Mitsubishi's line up will become very very competitve.
    Thats not going to do squat for the Tonsley Park workers though is it? All it does is pull sales away from an already failing product..

Quote Originally Posted by Bain
    To me they seem to have missed the point entirely..

The cars still dont differentiate all that much between the models (physically on the outside)
    it does just as good a job as ford do for arguments sake. Whats the visual difference between an XT and a futura? or indeed between an XT and a fairmont? I'll tell ya! Different wheels, grilles, badges and chrome bits, just like the 380!

Quote Originally Posted by Bain
    Thats not going to do squat for the Tonsley Park workers though is it? All it does is pull sales away from an already failing product..
    umm.. not really. The sort of person who is in the market for a new mitsu outlander or mitsu colt isn't really the same person who is in the market for a mitsu 380.

And it will do something for the workers actually, MMAL doesn't just derive its profits from the cars it makes, it also makes profits from the vehicles it imports. No it won't ultimately prevent tonsley park from closing down because if MMAL doesn't re-coup its investment on 380 then it will inevitablly happen, however profits that MMAL makes form imported models will buy the 380 time to start selling better and will also open up its development budget a bit more to do further improvements to the car down the track. Also the more good products mitsubishi sells in australia, the better the brand image will become, and thus more 380's will be sold as one of the major factors slowing the sales of the 380 is mitsubishi's brand imagine.

Your normally more informed then this bain...

Quote Originally Posted by RJL25
    And it will do something for the workers actually, MMAL doesn't just derive its profits from the cars it makes, it also makes profits from the vehicles it imports. No it won't ultimately prevent tonsley park from closing down because if MMAL doesn't re-coup its investment on 380 then it will inevitablly happen, however profits that MMAL makes form imported models will buy the 380 time to start selling better and will also open up its development budget a bit more to do further improvements to the car down the track. Also the more good products mitsubishi sells in australia, the better the brand image will become, and thus more 380's will be sold as one of the major factors slowing the sales of the 380 is mitsubishi's brand imagine..
    Thats right, selling imports will still allow MMAL to gain a small profit on the sale of imported goods and will raise brand awareness. The downside to this however is local advertising expenses.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information