+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: 190+kw 380?

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon Freak
    Don't hold your breath waiting for a 190kW engine in the 380.
    I figured I'd have to personally put it there

Just needs mivecs and variable inlet manifold, a decent exhaust header would help in spades too!

just putting it out there, where do they stop with the power for a fwd?? As if i was mature and looking for a sensible family car... my car has to much power at the wheels, and i'd say a 200kw aurion would have more power to weight than mine. Not fwd v other variations just at a point it becomes impracticle...
    6G72; DOHC 24v, 3L, v6, M5 TS. 125kWATW @ 5500rpm.
    SOLD - LS3; 6.2L, V8, A6 VE I
    Holden Cruze - 2L Turbo Diesel - 6.7l/100km avg
    Whyalla; SA.

Agreed. It's OK for enthusiasts but for the mainstream?
    The other trend is chasing Kw at the expense of practicality. Any engine can make high power but can it make it as usable power with torque for everyday?
    The high power Alloytech is a good example. Through DOHC it develops 190-195 Kw only by revving it high up the range and it's soft lower down. The Toyota 3 litre is another example where you have to thrash it to to get reasonable power.
    What's the point for Mr Everyman? He's better off with less power but more torque. Doesn't look so good on the brochure tho.

As the old saying goes: "Power wins sales, torque wins races".

after driving a TJ sports V6 manual around all weekend i must say that for a family car that thing had more then enough grunt. I really dont think that peak power is the issue for the 380, i mean how many V6 camry's have toyota sold in their time? and they have never really rivalled the power of the commodore or falcon. The issue with 380 is 80% styling and 20% the perception that MMAL is going to close its doors and therefore resale is hurting

Keeping in mind the example you gave of the camry, do you think it's the other way round - 20% styling and 80 % the other, + lack of advertising?
    The Camry has never had any styling - present model excepted- but sold s***loads.

Quote Originally Posted by Knotched
    Agreed. It's OK for enthusiasts but for the mainstream?
    The other trend is chasing Kw at the expense of practicality. Any engine can make high power but can it make it as usable power with torque for everyday?
    The high power Alloytech is a good example. Through DOHC it develops 190-195 Kw only by revving it high up the range and it's soft lower down. The Toyota 3 litre is another example where you have to thrash it to to get reasonable power.
    What's the point for Mr Everyman? He's better off with less power but more torque. Doesn't look so good on the brochure tho.
    I full agree with that,mate.

why don't they say that have xxx armount of torque
    hehehe going to join the blue force

Keeping in mind the example you gave of the camry, do you think it's the other way round - 20% styling and 80 % the other, + lack of advertising?
    The Camry has never had any styling - present model excepted- but sold s***loads.
    Yes. Mitsubishi make brilliant stuff but they fall down every time in the marketing department. Nissan follows closely in Australia. Look at the advertisement every weekend in the sydney morning herald - a double page spread which looks like the whitman's sampler of what you can buy, vague and of poor taste. Only once I've seen a proper ad for the 380 for the gt which was perfect, attention grabbing and focusing only on the 380. Sure it would have cost a heap but costs less than not selling cars.

Mitsubishi needs to spend more on advertising and get some confidence about themselves, then the consumer might have confidence in them.

hmm see your point, but probably not you the same extent you have gone, lets call it 50-50

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information