+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: 380 on 100 octane

Default 380 on 100 octane

Has anybody run a 380 on Shell Optimax Extreme (or V-Power now) with good results? I did a while back and noticed absolutely no significant gains, much to my disappointment considering my previous '97 Magna loved it and went like a rocket! That was manual and my 380 is auto. And even 98 Optimax and other 98s have no little impact.
    Any ideas anybody?

If you want to feel the benefits of a higher octane fuel, get your timing advanced a few degrees.
    Please use the report a post feature, instead of replying and creating more work for the admin team. Thanks!

Thanks for that. I'll suss it out.

Quote Originally Posted by M4DDOG
    If you want to feel the benefits of a higher octane fuel, get your timing advanced a few degrees.
    Agreed!

Quote Originally Posted by Grubco
    Has anybody run a 380 on Shell Optimax Extreme (or V-Power now) with good results? I did a while back and noticed absolutely no significant gains, much to my disappointment considering my previous '97 Magna loved it and went like a rocket! That was manual and my 380 is auto. And even 98 Optimax and other 98s have no little impact.
    Any ideas anybody?
    That's funny because 3rd gen magnas aren't fitted with a knock sensor and so can't advance their timing at all to the octane rating of the fuel that's in them.

See timing thread.

The book says 91, so don't waste your money on premium fuel if your car is standard. It's written there for a reason.
    04 vrx awd. Corner happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Grubco
    Any ideas anybody?

V-Power is 98 octane, not 100.. V-Power is the new name for Optimax. Same fuel new name

Extreme is the 100 octane stuff....
    2009 VE Commodore SSV w/ straight through rear pipes & VCM OTR

GU Patrol with to much money spent on it

KTM 500 EXC 6 DAYS

Mitus claims different elapsed times over 400 metres - about .2/.3 second difference. I can find the claims and post them if you like. The 380 is tuned for different fuels.

Thanks guys for your feedback.
    Another thing that occured to me is that my Magna had a full extractor setup, which may have made a difference with the Extreme - whereas my 380 is completely standard (Wife said no more noisey cars)
    Something I just noticed today (I filled up with Optimax/V-Power 98 yesterday), the economy gauge shows a much lower reading now. Average on other fuels was between 10.0 and 10.5 l/100km. So far I'm getting as low as 9.7 doing the same driving.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information