+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: 380 on 100 octane

Quote Originally Posted by Disciple
    That's funny because 3rd gen magnas aren't fitted with a knock sensor and so can't advance their timing at all to the octane rating of the fuel that's in them.
    Perhaps "a rocket" is over doing it... I just meant when putting the foot down, there was definately more power to be had which I could not find when using other fuels.
    For a few seconds I hit 200kph on the M7 which I could never get close too (with road & traffic conditions, etc) on regular fuels.

Any One Got A Milk Crate ..GONE..'s Avatar

Shell V-Power Extreme = 100 octane w/ 5% Ethanol
    Shell V-Power = 98 Octane (No Ethanol)
    Shell Unleaded = 95 Octane (No Ethanol)

I got 30km extra outta the 98 stuff from the 95.. This is in a Civic though.. which isn't a proper test because I guess I may have let the fuel light stay on a lil longer or something!

Power wise.. No real difference.. but the Civic LOVED the 100 octane stuff.. Power delivery through the rev range did feel smoother.. But yeah.. I guess its all up to the car!

SuFz
    Quote Originally Posted by simonhaha View Post
    Updating this thread...

just to let yall know, its been 2 years now and have moved in together like last month.

Ive just proposed to her on the weekend....

we are getting Married !!!

AMC///Relationship Advisor

Quote Originally Posted by Grubco
    Perhaps "a rocket" is over doing it... I just meant when putting the foot down, there was definately more power to be had which I could not find when using other fuels.
    For a few seconds I hit 200kph on the M7 which I could never get close too (with road & traffic conditions, etc) on regular fuels.
    Oh ok, cool.

Quote Originally Posted by SLaMMeD GTV
    Shell V-Power Extreme = 100 octane w/ 5% Ethanol
    Shell V-Power = 98 Octane (No Ethanol)
    Shell Unleaded = 95 Octane (No Ethanol)

I got 30km extra outta the 98 stuff from the 95.. This is in a Civic though.. which isn't a proper test because I guess I may have let the fuel light stay on a lil longer or something!

Power wise.. No real difference.. but the Civic LOVED the 100 octane stuff.. Power delivery through the rev range did feel smoother.. But yeah.. I guess its all up to the car!

SuFz
    Yes, everyone I know who tried Extreme, all said it was awesome in their car. That's why I was pretty upset when it did nothing in my 380, considering it costs about 13 cents a litre more.
    Also, I tried that United fuel, which has 95 octane 10% ethanol for 2 cents a litre cheaper than regular 91 octane fuel, and it did nothing for me. Even their Boost98 (98/10%) did little, though its the cheapest 98 octane around. Maybe good for economy, but not for power.

Quote Originally Posted by Grubco
    Yes, everyone I know who tried Extreme, all said it was awesome in their car. That's why I was pretty upset when it did nothing in my 380, considering it costs about 13 cents a litre more.
    Also, I tried that United fuel, which has 95 octane 10% ethanol for 2 cents a litre cheaper than regular 91 octane fuel, and it did nothing for me. Even their Boost98 (98/10%) did little, though its the cheapest 98 octane around. Maybe good for economy, but not for power.
    You can't really expect much of a boost tho in power just from a couple octane ratings in your fuel. I think the new Toyota Aurion gains 4kW at the flywheel from 98 ron compared to 91 ron. You would not notice 4kW at the flywheel.

Quote Originally Posted by Disciple
    You can't really expect much of a boost tho in power just from a couple octane ratings in your fuel. I think the new Toyota Aurion gains 4kW at the flywheel from 98 ron compared to 91 ron. You would not notice 4kW at the flywheel.
    Agreed. It would be naive at best, to expect good power in a car just from fuel choice and octane.

These figures are from a 2005 Mitsu marketing document so the rival comparisons are to older models.

MMAL TESTING
    0-100km/hr 0-400m 60-80km/hr 80-100km/hr 80-120km/hr
    380 (91 RON) 7.76 15.6 2.57 3.1 6.28
    380 (95+ RON)* 7.6 15.49 2.24 2.75 5.6
    Commodore (91) 7.84 15.55 2.76 2.77 5.43
    Falcon (91) 8.47 16.11 2.49 3.08 5.89

EDIT: Sorry, can't get the table to line up...

Grubco, how many k's has ur car done?

overall my car performs better on the 98+ octanes but on the 100ron it still performs the same but is very grumpy at idle etc. On a newer model car it might make a bit more power but nothing as noticable as on mine.
    6G72; DOHC 24v, 3L, v6, M5 TS. 125kWATW @ 5500rpm.
    SOLD - LS3; 6.2L, V8, A6 VE I
    Holden Cruze - 2L Turbo Diesel - 6.7l/100km avg
    Whyalla; SA.

Quote Originally Posted by Knotched
    Grubco, how many k's has ur car done?
    Are you asking about the Magna I mentioned, or the 380? I traded the Magna a few months ago. It was 159,000km and the 380 is about 9,500km.
    Thanks for the info. I'm still seeing good figures (economy display) at the moment, so I'll stay with 98 for a while.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information