+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: 380 on 100 octane

Quote Originally Posted by Knotched
    These figures are from a 2005 Mitsu marketing document so the rival comparisons are to older models.

MMAL TESTING
    0-100km/hr 0-400m 60-80km/hr 80-100km/hr 80-120km/hr
    380 (91 RON) 7.76 15.6 2.57 3.1 6.28
    380 (95+ RON)* 7.6 15.49 2.24 2.75 5.6
    Commodore (91) 7.84 15.55 2.76 2.77 5.43
    Falcon (91) 8.47 16.11 2.49 3.08 5.89

EDIT: Sorry, can't get the table to line up...
    Hmmm. That's not bad up at the fast end of the scale! And are these times based on a manual? Cos a manual would be quicker than an auto.
    Is your 380 a manual? I'm curious as to how much punchier a manual would be. Mine's auto, which I got so my wife could drive it, but I really miss the feel of a manual.

Those times are for an auto.

Quote from the same source:
    The power, the strong mid-range torque and the transmission ratios all work together, contributing to the highly competitive vehicle road test performance results. MMAL’s test results show the entry A/T 380 model outperforms its equivalent local competitors, yet returns superior fuel economy.

The reason I asked about km was that in my experience I found the 3.8L very lifeless at low km and it wasn't until 5-6k that the engine started to really perform, particularly in regard to torque.
    Now I'm really happy with it and feel it has the right blend of power and torque that's accessible.
    I use Vortex 98 fairly regularly and subjectively believe I can feel the car more responsive. If you had done less K's in yours I would have believed it was just a tight engine.

LOL, mine is an auto which I bought over a manual for the same reasons... women!

Mitus claims different elapsed times over 400 metres - about .2/.3 second difference. I can find the claims and post them if you like. The 380 is tuned for different fuels.
    Absolutely correct you are. I cant remember where I read it but at one stge there were two sets of performance figures quoted. One with regular 91 RON and the other with the 95 RON fuel used. Difference in performance was small but nonetheless there was a slight betterment in 0-100 and 400 metre times.

Welcome back, Veearex.

Welcome back, Veearex.
    Cheers,

Havent gone anywhere, just not posting much.

What fuel you using on yours? I am back to regular 91 crap. Filled with BP ultimate for one tank and noticed bugger all difference.

Mainly 95-98 RON while fuel is cheap. I'd rather use the better fuel when I can, although it's hard to feel any difference but I think it's there.

The reason I asked about km was that in my experience I found the 3.8L very lifeless at low km and it wasn't until 5-6k that the engine started to really perform, particularly in regard to torque.
    LOL, mine is an auto which I bought over a manual for the same reasons... women!
    Hmmm, okay. That probably explains why I noticed nothing from the Extreme 100 (I probably had around 3,000 at that time). But now that I can see some improvement - and especially while fuel prices are looking good - I'll stay with the 98 for a while.
    As for transmissions, it would be nice (if the money were there) to leave the current 380 to the wife and go out and buy one of those new Ralliart things!

Slightly off topic, but I filled up at Liberty with standard fuel (it was 20 cents a litre cheaper than premium) today as I needed to. Normally I try and use Saff, United, Caltex or Shell in that order for the car to run well.

I hadn't filled up with Liberty before but I was absolutely disgusted. Thirty seconds after driving off and accelerating it was pinging and it never pinged before (maybe slightly if it was fully loaded up a steepish hill under hard acceleration in a high gear!) on standard fuel. Have others had problems with this fuel, or am I just unlucky to have a bad batch?

Isn't the liberty recommended at minimum 95 octane for the 2.5L? My brothers liberty has 95 recommended, and its not the turbo 2.5 either.
    04 vrx awd. Corner happy.

Quote Originally Posted by VR33XY
    Isn't the liberty recommended at minimum 95 octane for the 2.5L? My brothers liberty has 95 recommended, and its not the turbo 2.5 either.
    From the way I read it I think he's referring to the privately owned Liberty Fuel Station chain. I never fill up there, though they're one of few who offer ethanol blended fuels - STAY AWAY!
    Confuscious say: "man who run naked through airport, is going to Bang-kok..."
    --------------------
    this post proudly brought to you by...
    MITSUBISHI MOTORS - "we gave good car"

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information