+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 380 On Gas

Default 380 On Gas

Cant for the life of me remember where I read this recently but......I read somewhere that the VRX and GT models can NOT be converted to run on LPG??

Why would this be so considering the motors are supposed to be identical across the range??

Could it be that Mitsu dont offer the factory option on these models and the article was misleading?

Quote Originally Posted by Veearex
    Cant for the life of me remember where I read this recently but......I read somewhere that the VRX and GT models can NOT be converted to run on LPG??

Why would this be so considering the motors are supposed to be identical across the range??

Could it be that Mitsu dont offer the factory option on these models and the article was misleading?
    it could be the same as in the magna range, where only the ES models where gas friendly even though the engines appeared identical.

Iron Man

Default 380 Vrx/gt No Lpg

I asked Mitsubishi via their web site thais very question.

NO, 380 GT's and VRX's are not recommended as gas conversions. They didn't say exactly why, just that some components in the engine are different.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Man
    I asked Mitsubishi via their web site thais very question.

NO, 380 GT's and VRX's are not recommended as gas conversions. They didn't say exactly why, just that some components in the engine are different.
    I find that extremely weird. I would like to know exactly how the engines differ as I thought they were identical across the range.

Just cause I only have 2c to my name, here it is.

Just at a precursory glance I would be saying that it is either because of a more aggressive timing due to the fact that both the VRX and the GT are meant to be powerful, whereas the Platinum and the Standard are just normally tuned. Or it could be that there is a slight problem with the LPG conversion that makes them run differently, and Mitsubishi is just covering themselves by saying "You brought the VRX/GT, which is $5-10k dearer. It's probably not best to convert it because they tend to ping/drive rougher/play with the alternator/leak noxious fumes into the air con when they are run on LPG".

More likely to be the first, but hey I own a 4cyl 3rd gen, so I'm uniquely unsuited to answer this question (being that the only performance/economy mods I have are new rims )
    Missing, presumed red

it was the same with tj sports/vrx couldnt be on gas. as far as i know it;s because of different valves (not hardened) in the vrx. why they would do this i have no idea??? but maybe they last longer if flogged?? dunno
    OFFICIAL Member - AMC ///RAPTOR #1 CLUB12.868@179kmh

Quote Originally Posted by stacky
    it was the same with tj sports/vrx couldnt be on gas. as far as i know it;s because of different valves (not hardened) in the vrx. why they would do this i have no idea??? but maybe they last longer if flogged?? dunno
    Yep you've hit the nail on the head. VRX and GT use different valves of a softer grade than in the others coz they were deemed to be driven harder. In other words a VRX would cope better with a hard driver than say an ES. Not sure which category the SX falls in though.
    Confuscious say: "man who run naked through airport, is going to Bang-kok..."
    --------------------
    this post proudly brought to you by...
    MITSUBISHI MOTORS - "we gave good car"

Quote Originally Posted by VeradaBoy
    Yep you've hit the nail on the head. VRX and GT use different valves of a softer grade than in the others coz they were deemed to be driven harder. In other words a VRX would cope better with a hard driver than say an ES. Not sure which category the SX falls in though.

Nope, the reason, as always, is cost. It costs them more to put in harder valves/seats. Not much mind you, they were offering it as a new car option on ES magnas for around $100. I wish they would just make them LPG compatible across the range.
    I put my VR magna on gas anyway, no problems yet with the valves.

How do the Magnas/380s go on gas. Mine is the Series 1 Limited Edition (base model with some extras), so could - according to these discussions - run gas okay. But I've heard people say cars running gas have slightly less power than with petrol, and that the engines won't last as long.

Quote Originally Posted by VeradaBoy
    Yeh, thats the rumour I heard as well, that they had different valves, but wasn't sure why when they still put out the same power.
    380 VRX 5spd Auto

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information