+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: anybody got a 380 with bent valves?

$770 including new cambelt and tensioner. genuine cambelt is $160, tensioner $200. but i'd check around because i don't think they all price the same. this dealer later said they would fit a timing kit (labour only) for about $340. either way its not cheap.

happened to my girlfriends astra with 10,000 on the clock, cam belt tensioner dubey snapped throwing the cambelt off causing the valves to give the pistons a biiiiiiiig kiss! Had to have a new engine put in it, was rooted!

An acquaintance of mine at work had a Barina which shed it's belt at 80K, 10K before it was due to be replaced. He spent 2000 bucks on the head. At 140K it spit the belt again. Did he get rid of it? No. Spent 2,300 bucks to fix it again.

I've heard of Mercedes, Audi's, etc that have horror stories too, and sometimes many in a particular model (do a search, may be a bit hard to find with all the new crud going on the web all the time).

We've got a pretty good run with Aussie vehicles, and as soon as faults are found they are recalled, like the Commodore, not like most overseas companies who put all faults down to the car owners!

getting back to this particular 380 with bent valves tho, the fact it has happened so early in its life suggests it was a manufacturing fault. If it where a design issue that rares its head at such an early time then there would most likely be alot more occurances by now.

As for any possible correlation with a TJ magna, well as far as im aware they are very different engines, so i doubt there would be much of a link between the two

I think there are some similarities, because the timing kit I bought (cambelt, tensioner & idler pulley, hydraulic tensioner) says that it is suitable for the 380. I agree it is probably just bad luck throwing a belt because it looks like these parts are the same as the 3.5, which is fairly well tested by now.
    I was a little surprised when I was told about the 380 and it made me worry a little more about my car because my car had been diagnosed with a fault that could potentially end up the same way (and because it looks like it uses the same offending parts). I had been told that it was rare on the 3.5s but it sounds a little less rare when you just happen to go to a dealer who has a 380 with the same problem at the very same time, especially knowing the above.

that's all it is fellas.. bad luck! the motors are put together by humans.. and as well know, we f+ck up.. simple! let's not talk about crappy built vehicles, otherwise ill bore you all with the garbage that's come from toyota! best car around... pig's ass!

Probably a Friday motor.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information