+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Lowered 380s on Big Rims

Default Lowered 380s on Big Rims

Hi, I've been reading through some of the older threads and found a few people who had their brand new 380s lowered at the dealer where purchased. I've been considering lowering mine but am concerned about the warranty. Is that why these people (you know who you are) opted for the lowering with the dealer? For the warranty? What if I had it done elsewhere? Would the warranty be effected if not done by the dealer?
    Secondly, of those who have had their 380s lowered, how much did you lower it? (I had my TF Magna dropped 2 inches and although it sometimes scraped, it still had more wheel arch space). I think 2 inches would be ideal for daily use. What does the wheel arch look like after a 2 inch drop?
    Thirdly, does putting BIG rims (ie 19 or 20) on original springs, fill out the wheel arches a bit? I've heard some people say yes, but my money is on no.
    Thanks for whatever responses I can gather. I know a few people (at least) have been down these roads already and should have a lot of input to offer me and any others also considering a height & rim upgrade.

If you lower the car yourself your only going to void the warranty on related parts... so they cant tell you your CD player stopped working because you changed the springs...

i lowered my car myself and have had the car back to mitsu for a few things and the only thing they said about the suspension was, "how the hell do you drive this thing around sydney"
    2009 VE Commodore SSV w/ straight through rear pipes & VCM OTR

GU Patrol with to much money spent on it

KTM 500 EXC 6 DAYS

geenerally when you put bigger rims on you compensate by putting on tyres with a smaller side wall so you get the same diameter as your old wheels which results in not having to change the speedo. i havent dealt with whacking on 19's or 20's so i wouldn't be too sure what happens there because the tyre would look like a small black rubber band wrapped around the rim if you had to do that i'm guessing.
    missus....drop the "m" and you get issus..looks a lot like "issues"....let the research commence!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bitsofmystery
    geenerally when you put bigger rims on you compensate by putting on tyres with a smaller side wall so you get the same diameter as your old wheels which results in not having to change the speedo. i havent dealt with whacking on 19's or 20's so i wouldn't be too sure what happens there because the tyre would look like a small black rubber band wrapped around the rim if you had to do that i'm guessing.
    see my pic? im on 20s.. haha rubber bands is exactly what they are... mine are the same rolling diameter as the stock 17s that come with the car....

KTM 500 EXC 6 DAYS

Quote Originally Posted by gremlin
    see my pic? im on 20s.. haha rubber bands is exactly what they are... mine are the same rolling diameter as the stock 17s that come with the car....
    Impressive for sure! But how much life, k's, would you expect to get from rubber that thin? That was another question I forgot to ask.

Quote Originally Posted by Grubco
    Impressive for sure! But how much life, k's, would you expect to get from rubber that thin? That was another question I forgot to ask.

well so far my tyres have done around 10,000kms... the front are getting a bit thin so ill chuck em on the rear soon and probably get another 10,000kms out of the set..so going on that 20,000kms per set...

i dont drive my car stupidly either, so, if youve got a heavy foot probably get less than me

KTM 500 EXC 6 DAYS

that whould make a very expencive exercise. my 17" last 50,000kms on the rear and 30,000 on the front!

i doubt it would void the whole warranty of the car, maybe suspension parts? which would just be put under wear/tear n prolly not covered by warranty anyways

best way is to ask your dealer

as for rims, yes 19/20's would fill out the arches better, but theres nothing like a car lowered on decent sized rims, if your going to goto the effort/money of putting rims on the car then i would get it lowered

as for rubber life, depends on the tyre you buy and the way you drive, i have my hoon moments and normal driving habits which is probably abit more extreme then a grandpa driver (i love corners and changing down gears too much, so sue me ) and ive got 10,000 out of the cheapest 18" tyres i could find and thats on the front, prolly got another 5000 in them but im gunna rotate tyres shortly coz its long overdue, rears still look brand new (about 80% where as fronts are more like 20%). so im hoping for another 10,000 out of them which is fine becoz i wont do anywhere that amount of KM's next year
    My Magna Project - Black Manual 3.5L TJ, scratched up and cracked bodykit, dented boot, keyed doors n rear quarter panel, peeling clear coat, flaking chrome rims.... the list goes on

Quote Originally Posted by gremlin
    well so far my tyres have done around 10,000kms... the front are getting a bit thin so ill chuck em on the rear soon and probably get another 10,000kms out of the set..so going on that 20,000kms per set...

i dont drive my car stupidly either, so, if youve got a heavy foot probably get less than me
    haha that sux... i drive mine hard around corners and have done 10k so far and id say my tyres are still at 90% at least!!

i was talking to somone who has an xr6 t with 20's and the exact same tyres and size as mine and he's on he 2nd set first ones were good for 50k

id say i think it's 3 main things, 1 tyre compound. 2 urs is fwd mine awd... 3 tread depth, the wanlis have very deep tread...

yeah my tyres are cheap and suck, but they are tough quiet higher load rated and longer lasting than most in its size... not to mention much cheaper

the obvioulsy dont grip as well though...

And to add to Andrews post, wheel alignment!!!!

The larger the rim and the lower the profile of the tyres, the more the car will be susceptible to misalignment from things like sharp bumps and pot holes. I know I've mis-alignment my front tyres a couple of times after some (very ) spirited cornering sessions.

It is sometimes cheaper to pay for a wheel alignment every few month then replace the tyres sooner.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information