+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Lowered 380s on Big Rims

Mike,

I've made some enquiries but that's all. 235 on standard is as wide as u can go. I'd like to do what Veearex has done but 1. tyre life frightens me 2. My accountant (wife, and she is one unfortunately) doesn't agree with forking out the cash.

There are no warranty problems, I've checked this out with my dealer before I bought.

If and when you replace yours let us know what u got - I'm sure there are better alternatives than Dunlop Sport.

Quote Originally Posted by Knotched
    Mike,

I've made some enquiries but that's all. 235 on standard is as wide as u can go. I'd like to do what Veearex has done but 1. tyre life frightens me 2. My accountant (wife, and she is one unfortunately) doesn't agree with forking out the cash.

There are no warranty problems, I've checked this out with my dealer before I bought.

If and when you replace yours let us know what u got - I'm sure there are better alternatives than Dunlop Sport.

Knotched......I have yet to feel the wrath of my minister for finance and war and peace....she has no clue whatsoever of how much replacement tyres will cost......I guess I will cross that bridge eventually

I was very happy to hear that HSV were offering 20s as an option with the new VE's....hopefully should bring the prices down a tad.

Quote Originally Posted by Knotched
    Ouch! Ain't that the truth! (scary short tyre life, and the 'boss' who isn't interested in spending money on cars). I'm still waiting for the right time, to slide that plan into reality.

I have noticed that the prices of tyre and rim packages take a jump from 18s to 19s. 18s now sell for what 17s did a year or so back, but these days 18s don't look "huge" on a car, unless its slammed down - and I don't intend on doing that. 19s still look very good.

Another question: to those running 20s now, are these on daily drivers?

Quote Originally Posted by Grubco
    yep i drive my car every single day for work.... its not hassle what so ever. just got watch how close you park to gutters thats about it
    2009 VE Commodore SSV w/ straight through rear pipes & VCM OTR

GU Patrol with to much money spent on it

KTM 500 EXC 6 DAYS

Ouch! Ain't that the truth! (scary short tyre life, and the 'boss' who isn't interested in spending money on cars). I'm still waiting for the right time, to slide that plan into reality.

I have noticed that the prices of tyre and rim packages take a jump from 18s to 19s. 18s now sell for what 17s did a year or so back, but these days 18s don't look "huge" on a car, unless its slammed down - and I don't intend on doing that. 19s still look very good.

If you like an uncomfortable ride and your spine being broken every time you go over a bump, go for 20's. Otherwise just stick to 18's, they're the best compromise for safety, comfort, looks, price and performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Disciple
    If you like an uncomfortable ride and your spine being broken every time you go over a bump, go for 20's. Otherwise just stick to 18's, they're the best compromise for safety, comfort, looks, price and performance.

so you have driven a car with 20's daily then?

i must say that the 18's on my previous car gave a far worse ride than the current 20's on this car,

actually i've had ppl in the car say, that you cant tell its on 20's by the way it rides...

ur spine problem sounds more like a spring/shock choice thing than the diameter of your wheels..

Quote Originally Posted by andrewd

i must say that the 18's on my previous car gave a far worse ride than the current 20's on this car,

actually i've had ppl in the car say, that you cant tell its on 20's by the way it rides...

ur spine problem sounds more like a spring/shock choice thing than the diameter of your wheels..
    The fact that your previous 18's rode harder than your 20's sounds like a spring and shock problem to me. 20" rims WILL ride harder than anything smaller than them naturally - to keep the same rolling diameter your tyre sidewall is significantly smaller, therefore giving less flex and absorbance.

But I'm meh either way, couldn't have big wheels simply for the fact that the weight of them ruins your sprung weight ratio and makes your car handle like poo and before anyone talks about how well their 20" shod car handles, do some research about sprung to unsprung weight ratios.

Matthius
    Alpine CDA-9835 - Focal Utopia 165w - Zapco studio 300x - Vibe Blackair 12"

98 manual TF sports - Cai and berklee muff for 119kw
    76 Holden HJ gts, 253, 4 speed
    75 Fiat 124 CC sport - project track car

dude im talking about 2 different cars here....

my previous car had 14 17 and 18 inch alloys on it at some stage for sometime... im aware of the differences... and it was all on modified suspension...

there is also a some differnce in ride quality and road noise, not to mention grip between tyre brands as i had 2 sets of 17's and different brands of tyres on each set... i used to alternate every now and then when i was bored of the look....

the point being made is that the ride quality isnt as bad as ppl think, i'll gladly take you for a drive around so you can see for yourself, im NOT claiming it's anywhere near as good as stock on the factory 16's, but honestly it's not that bad, and i drive it and treat it just like a normal car regardless of the wheels.... i have bashed it off road a bit wanna see the muddy pics again....

Quote Originally Posted by andrewd

This just really shows your lack of knowledge of springs and dampers. Like you said, the 18's were on a different car so the comparison is redundant. And yes, I've driven a car with 20's as a daily, it was a Monaro and holy hell it rode like a gokart with rock wheels.

Like I said, for the original poster, 18's are, IMO, the best compromise for safety, comfort, looks, price and performance. That's on a Magna, maybe on a 380 you could step up to 19's or even 20's due to the different suspension setup and weight of the vehicle.

Car is a daily driver, mostly Hwy to and from work. Rides like a dream.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information