+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Handbrake Adjustment

Default Handbrake Adjustment

Hi guys.

I need to adjust the handbrake on my TE since when it is all the way on, it is almost vertical and is actually only just on. When I park on a hill the car is only stopped by the park brake which is obviously not so good. Can anyone tell me how to do it/what to adjust? Also, would it be right to adjust it? Would it be the drum (it is a drum right?) that has worn or is it that the cable has stretched? I mean is it safe and would it be better to purchase a new cable assuming it has stretched?

Quote Originally Posted by Imitation
    I need to adjust the handbrake
    PM TbuTcher if he wants to talk to you. We had a big info session from him on the last BP Coomera Cruz. He uses his quite a lot and knows the best way to do it. Don't just adjust the bit under your floor console as this just tugs on the cables. You need to reset the stops on the brake so that is both rear rims off and a bit of black hand work. Ask him for details.
    Stock Dyno
    104.6kw
    After Stage 1 Mods
    ???.?kw

If it is that serious, the nut to adjust the cables will probably do nothing, but to adjust the cable by tightening the nut can be accessed by lifting up the plastic container/ and you can access the nut then. (in your centre console)

Good luck, DO NO OVER TIGHTEN.

Quote Originally Posted by AllPaw
    PM TbuTcher if he wants to talk to you. We had a big info session from him on the last BP Coomera Cruz. He uses his quite a lot and knows the best way to do it. Don't just adjust the bit under your floor console as this just tugs on the cables. You need to reset the stops on the brake so that is both rear rims off and a bit of black hand work. Ask him for details.
    All Paw is correct in that it is a bit invoved and requires getting your hands dirty. I just had a quick look at my Gregoreys manual and it is explained pretty throughly. My tip is spend the measley 50 bucks and get the manual. it will pay for itself many times over in the long run.

Cheers
    Nigel

TBuTcher

Chock front wheels and release handbrake
    open centre console
    remove tray
    using a 10mm spanner loosen off the cable a few turns... I did mine around 3-5 full turns.
    Jack up rear
    remove both wheels
    remove the two main bolts that hold on the caliper to the rear hub. (14mm from mem)
    try and pull of the rotor (if you cannot get it off with some pushing and pulling and groaning.. then you will have to get a 12mm bolt and screw it into the two holes you can see in the centre of the disc... (between the studs) this will force the disc off the hub.
    once the rotor is removed you will see at the top of the inside of the assemble, where the two brake drum pads meet there is a little ridged threded disc.. this will force the pads apart if you rotate it one way and it will pull them closer if rotated in the other direction.
    Simply turn this with a flat blade screwdriver to seperate the pads (making them tighter on the inside of the drum..
    Refit the rotor and try and get a nice snug fit..
    Once you have the snug fit, loosen it off one click and refit the rotor the caliper and teh wheels
    tighten up the inside cable until the handbrake lever is nice and firm...
    refit the console box.

Thats what I did and now I have a nice firm handbrake that can lock up the wheels at around 100km/h no probs
    Goodluck
    Haydn

Hey, I did this on the Vienta when we first got it in 1997. It also has drums in the rear discs for the handbrake. What you should find is that there is a hole in the drum part of the disc that will line up with the adjuster for the handbrake shoes, when you rotate the hub. There should be no need to take the disc off, as adjusting drum brakes with the drum off can make it extremely hard to put it back on, then you have to back off the adjuster again.

Adjust it until the hub will not turn, then click it back one or two notches until it spins freely again. You may then find you have to adjust the cable inside to get the handle right too.

Use a long thin flat blade screwdriver to click the wheel over.
    Team Jesus
    Richard

2012 Dark Grey Nissan Pathfinder ST-L Diesel (Work car)
    2006 Holden Astra Diesel Dyno Data (wife's car) Fuel Economy
    Gotta love diesel torque and economy!

TBuTcher

Quote Originally Posted by 89GSR
    Hey, I did this on the Vienta when we first got it in 1997........
    Thats great for THAT car.. But the Magna Does NOT have a hole in the back of the hub.. it has instead a strut and a suspension Arm.
    Thanks anyway.
    Haydn

Quote Originally Posted by TBuTcher
    Thats great for THAT car.. But the Magna Does NOT have a hole in the back of the hub.. it has instead a strut and a suspension Arm.
    Thanks anyway.
    Haydn
    My TF does, thats how I got mine adjusted, there was a small gromet looking rubber peice that covers the hole on the hub

TBuTcher

Quote Originally Posted by Phonic
    My TF does, thats how I got mine adjusted, there was a small gromet looking rubber peice that covers the hole on the hub
    On the backside of the hub?
    I looked back there pretty hard....
    Mine is a TE.. but Id expect it to be the same..
    I was supprised that there wasnt one... so maybe mine was fully caked over with crap..
    I stand corrected if it is there.. (it makes sence to have one) If someone has a picture of this area it would be great.

Haydn

No, not the back of the brake backing plate, on the front, when you take the wheel off. Sorry if I intended the wrong thing. My old Morris minor with 4xdrum brakes had an adjusting hole on the front of the drum too. Same principle applied for the Vienta. I know it's not a Magna, but I had hoped to reduce the work involved in removing a caliper and disc. It's worth looking for.
    Team Jesus
    Richard

2012 Dark Grey Nissan Pathfinder ST-L Diesel (Work car)
    2006 Holden Astra Diesel Dyno Data (wife's car) Fuel Economy
    Gotta love diesel torque and economy!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information