+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Any known problems for a TJ or TL

Default Any known problems for a TJ or TL

hey guys and girls

i'm looking at purchasing another Magna quite soon.

I'm looking at a wagon TJ or TL series.

Now i'd like to know what are the common problems with these series? Is there anything i should look for before buying?

Are there any issues with gearboxes, engine, cooling, electrical??? just anything i should look out for so i can negotiate.

any input will be greatly appreciated

christopher_michael mozzaldinho's Avatar

Leaking heater core. Mostly TJ i believe, look under the passenger side carpet for any signs of coolant.

Apart from that, im not much help.
    christopher.michael
    Canon 5D | 50 1.8 | 85 1.8 | 430EXII | YN 460II
    flickr | redbubble

Interesting. That's a common problem with the Toyota Sera too (my wife's car)

I've noticed that a few TJ vehicles have stereo problems of the buttons & controls not working.
    It's not hard to fix with an aftermarket unit, but the factory unit appears to be failing so factor that in to your vehcile test or potential repair costs if you need a radio/in car entertainment.

There's at least 3 reports of same/similar problem since July 09 so it could be an age thing that will affect many cars.
    I thought it was heat related, but the problem happened today at lunch time and it's cool. Buttons on the radio didn't work except the CD Eject and power button at least that gave me some options.
    10 minutes and 2 power cycles later I checked it and all buttons were fine.

Definitely check trans fluid if it's an Auto. Apparently they _can_ be overheated and this will turn the oil black instead of red. A second oil cooler in line with the factory (radiator) one is an easy fix - mine cost me $20 at the wreckers, I just have to install it. This may not be a common occurance which causes problems, but an oil cooler is frequently recommended on this forum.

Cheers!
    Oggy.

Sold 2003 Magna Sports AWD: http://www.aussiemagna.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=103410. Now moved on to the AWD dark side

Common problems:-

1) Rear window surround - paint peels off, and / or the rear window creaks in cooler weather.
    If there is a surround that has a noticeable channel all the way round then it has been fixed.

2) Battery. If the battery drops a cell then a cold start will usually fail on the first attempt. Will fire and go on the second.
    Get a new battery

3) Immobiliser circuit.
    Can fail to recognise the key. The engine will crank over but will not start.
    Lots of posts about this.

4) Front tyre outer edge wear. Fit a rear sway bar.

5) Pulls to left.
    Get an increased castor bush fitted to the nearside front.

6) Drivers power window gets noisy then the cable fails.
    Needs a new power regulator system. Later design look a lot better than the early 2003 one.

Hope that this helps.
    Gerry

Quote Originally Posted by Garry View Post
    hey guys and girls

i'm looking at purchasing another Magna quite soon.

I'm looking at a wagon TJ or TL series.

Now i'd like to know what are the common problems with these series? Is there anything i should look for before buying?

Are there any issues with gearboxes, engine, cooling, electrical??? just anything i should look out for so i can negotiate.

any input will be greatly appreciated

I've had a TW (wagon)for 2 1/2 years now, 89000k and had the following .

ROOF RACKS - had mount covers replaced twice, tend to bubble(corrode) under protective finish
    TIPTRONIC Selector - replaced twice due to faulty sensor switches
    Cruise Control - vacumn pump replaced
    Electric ariel- had motor and mast replaced
    Passenger Airbag warped (replaced)
    Steering Wheel - grip unbonded / replaced
    Fender Indicators - replaced both sides twice, tend to crack internally and fill with water
    Harmonic Balancer - separated / replaced
    Brake Calipers front- both bottom guide pins seized.
    Rear Shocks - shagged at 45 000k , replaced.
    Cam covers - split at mounting points.
    Gearbox - unresolved issue with shift flare and shock 2 -3 upshift on first change after vehicle shutdown for a while.
    Rocker covers - starting to leak oil
    Stabiliser bar link pin boots just starting to perish.
    Remotes are fragile, battery holder tends to break at solder joints on the circuit board.

I would recommend changing/flushing auto box with mitsu genuine fluid straight up unless you can tell how fresh it is. Mitsu has the best price suprisingly for this fluid. A full service history is always handy.

In the past 35,000kms (147-182,000), I've had:
    - Roof lining sagging
    - Leaking power steering pump

I have a TL LS '04 model. It had 80K on it when I purchased, and 160K now. It had good service before I bought it, and service every 7500Km since. No problems at all - just tyres. I service every thing as per the book. My son has an '00 TJ Advance sedan with 130K on it, and it has relatively little problems as well. The drivers elec. window gear quit, and was replaced, and a problem with a fuel line coming out of the tank (Plastic joiner degraded). I think that regularly serviced late model Magnas that are looked after are very reliable cars. Cheap to buy S/H too!

I have a 04 TL LS bought at 49,000km now on 85,000km, only small things, the driver's side engine mount is dead trans fluid was black when i bought it and had to be changed and radio volume control was a bit iffy at times, i fixed that with a 7 inch touch screen though
    Interior crocodile alligator i drive a Chevrolet movie theater!!!

Oh and catalytic converter and exhaust manifold shields started rattling so i fixed that with a new cat and pacemakers
    Interior crocodile alligator i drive a Chevrolet movie theater!!!

thanks guys for your reply

i bought a TL station wagon.

It's nice to drive, alot nicer than my 96 TE. Engine has a different note and is more responsive etc..

i have noticed a couple of things on the TL. One of the windows doesn't fit back onto the rubber seal after you have opened the door. You need to wind down the window and go back up for the glass to pop back onto the seal. Is this a window regulator issue?

This isn't a issue. But due to the experiences i have had with the TE. How large of a transmission oil cooler should i install for the TL?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information