+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: 2000 VR4 Galant

Quote Originally Posted by Ralliart-AKKO View Post
    Take mine as an example:
    http://www.aussiemagna.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=80107

Sadly it's spent more time in the shop for various reasons than in my driveway or on the road.

Some things to look out for
    - Noisey hydrualic lifters
    - Timing belt / water pump
    - Clutch
    - Coil packs

Also can be expensive to work on since there aint much room in the engine bay!
    Coil packs - 7th gen 6A12 motors use the same coil packs and I have seen many at pick a part type wreckers. they want about $40 or so which is great to have a spare and keep you out of trouble.

What are the issues with the timing belt and water pump? is it age? lack of maintenance?
    Also clutch, why the "look out for" thing there, genuinely keen to know buddy, I have seen the problem with the noisy lifters. VERY good DIY tutorial on how to clean them on OzVR4.

Quote Originally Posted by [TUFFTR] View Post
    Coil packs - 7th gen 6A12 motors use the same coil packs and I have seen many at pick a part type wreckers. they want about $40 or so which is great to have a spare and keep you out of trouble.

What are the issues with the timing belt and water pump? is it age? lack of maintenance?
    Also clutch, why the "look out for" thing there, genuinely keen to know buddy, I have seen the problem with the noisy lifters. VERY good DIY tutorial on how to clean them on OzVR4.
    Just pointing out things to note when looking to buy one...
    It's simply a factor of age and something to keep in mind when you buy it that you're going to have a big service bill just around the corner for the 100,000km.
    Also the stock clutches will only take so much thrashing so look for signs of slippage.

Parts in general aren't cheap, so look around and do your research as anything you can save here will help to offset the labor costs which you have less influence over unless you're heavily into DIY

@OP for that budget if you have the patience definitely consider importing one with all the options (recaro seats / momo wheel etc) that you might be after.
    Fortunately I didn't have the patience as I had no car at the time, but found a local example at a reasonable price in view of its issues + mods (hail damage - since repaired).
    Last edited by Ralliart-AKKO; 19-09-2010 at 09:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Poita View Post
    I wouldn't worry too much about the autos. To be honest the torque in these cars is better suited to the auto box than the manual. The only real weak link has been mentioned, and that is the wave spring. That will cost about $1000 to fix and then the auto is very very solid and reliable even with decent power (provided its serviced properly).

I am looking for a manual purely because I like the driving experience.
    the wave spring, elaborate please (want to learn)
    Quote Originally Posted by 86_Elite
    astron engines are capable 7 second quater miles, not in magnas -Sakura Drag car, with astron 2.6 puts out 900hp http://www.sakuramotorsports.com/
    wow didnt know Astron were that good TR's do hav good pull @ 3-4k rpm & go pretty fast, don't they!

Quote Originally Posted by TR93 View Post
    the wave spring, elaborate please (want to learn)
    I don't know enough about it, but head to OzVR4 and there is plenty of info. MV Auto is doing a group fix currently.

Edit: Copied from the group fix thread in OzVR4
    Remove the planatery gearset carrier and tig weld the pins in place (first common fault)
    install new one piece wave spring
    Total quote at the moment is $1200
    For an additional $200 he can remove the valve body and "install" a shift kit he developed for the W5A51 in the ralliart magna. This involves modifying the flow characteristics to give a quicker and firmer shift.

So the total for the wavespring, carrier pins and shift kit would be $1400 per car.

I think the issue with the pins is they weren't welded properly or something. MV Auto welds them securely into place.
    Last edited by Poita; 16-10-2010 at 05:10 PM.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information