+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Replacing electric antenna mast

Default Replacing electric antenna mast

Hi Everyone

Ive done a search and was unable to find anything. How do I replace the mast in an electric antenna?
    Ive pulled it all apart, taken the broken rope out and fed the new mast in as much as I can.

I then installed back in the car to try and get the motor to draw the new rope/mast in with no joy

I cant seem to manually feed the rope in due to the cog not enabeling me to do so

How do you install a new mast??? I few posts say they are easy to do but no clues as to how

Any assistance much appreciated

Rod
    2002 TJ VR-X Series II | King Springs & KYB | Morel & Focal | Pewter | goeslikeashot | WITH ONLY 61K on the clock

For starters, this can only be done on the 8 pin unit, not on the 3 pin unit

Once you have taken out the old mast, you then turn on the radio, let the aerial cycle itself up, then oyu need to get the rope to catch the gear and have someone switch off the radio. Can be a little tricky as you have found as the cord will be slightly curved from being in the packaging, you need to try and straighten the end of it out, you will feel it catch on the gears

You mention that you have taken it apart, provided nothing has been disturbed you should be fine but these are very fragile so you can actualy damage the unit when you take it all apart
    Mits-fix E-Bay Store here

Mits-Fix on Facebook here

Hey mate i did this the other day. There's a really easy way to do it (that i only found out after taking hours doing it the hard way once before). With the aerial on your car, turn on the radio so the motor extends out all the way (as in if the mast was in there it'd be all the way up). Then, with the teeth in the rope facing towards the body of the car, slide the rope down as far as it will go. Turn the rope towards the back of the car so that the teeth mesh with the drive cog. Give it a light pull after this, if it comes out it didn't mesh, try it again. If it did mesh, then turn off your radio and the rope should wind up and your aerial should be good to go after you replace the ring nut on the top.

Edit: What Mal said pretty much
    Last edited by TimmyB; 25-10-2010 at 11:17 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by swift_sloth View Post
    so why do you wear your dick on your head????????
    Quote Originally Posted by Ol' Fart View Post
    Beats the hell outta pissin yur pants wen you pass out drunk

This technique - described so well by Timmy B above - is also explained in the PDF downloadable Mitsi Workshop Manual. Search for "Workshop Manual Thread".

Mal is right in that a bit of straightening at the tip of the new rope helps, and TimmyB has it nailed with the advice to advance the rope with the rack/teeth facing to the side, and when you feel it bottom-out THEN twist the rope so that teeth face the back of the car before having someone turn radio off.

You def need an accomplice to turn radio on/off for you, and a third pair of hands wouldn't hurt to wrangle the mast and rope with you when it gets pulled down and the motor cycles back in...... need good reflexes and no tangles in the mast/rope at this stage! It usually takes me a few try-out before I get the rope to mesh and retract.

(I had a fairly new rope bugger-up in about a year, end of rope looks fine but it disengages when the mast goes up..... so had to rinse and repeart the procedure again. New one is going great. These were Aerpro masts, by the way, cheaper and look identical to the genuine as far as I can tell).
    Last edited by Elwyn; 25-10-2010 at 11:32 AM.
    Phil

TJ Sports '02 ( 5 man ) - bit of a roughy.

KJ Verada '00 ( 4 tippy ) - smoooooth!

Thanks guys. Well I have pushed the new mast rope in a bit while I have had the motor housing apart. I take it this is NOT the way to go about it then as when I get my bro to turn radio off/on nothing happens ( I can hear the motor driving but mast is not being pulled in)

I thought if I put the mast in this way it was almost guarenteed to work as mast is already meshed with the cog so to speak. ARGhhhhh
    2002 TJ VR-X Series II | King Springs & KYB | Morel & Focal | Pewter | goeslikeashot | WITH ONLY 61K on the clock

Quote Originally Posted by TimmyB View Post
    Hey mate i did this the other day. There's a really easy way to do it (that i only found out after taking hours doing it the hard way once before). With the aerial on your car, turn on the radio so the motor extends out all the way (as in if the mast was in there it'd be all the way up). Then, with the teeth in the rope facing towards the body of the car, slide the rope down as far as it will go. Turn the rope towards the back of the car so that the teeth mesh with the drive cog. Give it a light pull after this, if it comes out it didn't mesh, try it again. If it did mesh, then turn off your radio and the rope should wind up and your aerial should be good to go after you replace the ring nut on the top.

Edit: What Mal said pretty much
    Thanks so much,

I'm a newbie to this forum. Just bought a Magna TW ES wagon and first job was to replace the broken electric aerial. Found this post, printed it, bought an Aerpro aerial and followed TimmyB and Elwyn's instructions. 15 minutes later had a new aerial zooming up and down. Thanks guys.

Just had to replace my mast and the new one (Aeropro) won't retract fully. There is around 1cm that stays up. The only thing I found was I tried following the above installation advice, however it wouldn't engage when I turned the rope teeth towards the rear of the car, however when I turned them towards the front of the car it did. I did have to pull the cover off the motor to remove a snapped off section of the old rope. Could I have put something back wrong?

Just hold your tounge in a different position, should go in, unless you have broken it......

hmmmm.... the above is good to know.
    Not to hijack but...
    Q. My electric ariel is no longer providing FM reception... but still goes up and down. What might cause that?

Where do you get a replacement mast?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information