+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Fuse keeps blowing

Default Fuse keeps blowing

2004 Evo 8 MR, dash fuse keeps blowing. It's a 7.5 amp fuse, replaced it with a 10 amp and it still blew. I'm gonna take the dash out and check the connection on the back of the cluster on Saturday, but any other ideas? Nothing new has been installed and it doesn't blow straight away, like today the 10 amp fuse blew after driving for about 15 mins.

Any ideas?

Cheers.

what about the fuse that controls the internal lights and stuff? Might have a burnt tip or a defect in some way, thats only a guess for me im not the best with electronics.. haha lets us know how you go

AMC/// 3.5L 5 Speed Manual Conversion Division
    AMC/// Victorian Division

Russian Max - "He's our Token Fat Asian."
    !

If the fuse is blowing, even with a bigger ampage, it means whatever you have on the circuit is pulling too much current. If you haven't added anything lately (cigarette lighter adapters are most common i know of, people plugging in laptops etc.), then it has to be short somewhere in the wiring. Check the plugs on the back of the dash and make sure there's no chance of any of them touching.
    Please use the report a post feature, instead of replying and creating more work for the admin team. Thanks!

Banned

Disconnect all the devices controlled by that fuse and reconnect one at a time until a smaller amp fuse blows.

Or disconnect the battery and place a multimeter from ground to the cold side of teh fuse and watch the resistance change as you eliminate the load devices on the circuit.

Or as a last resort as we sometimes do in high voltage monitors....put in a damn big fuse and blow the short circuit out...but watch out for a melted loom.

Wanna See My Party Trick FFEEkY's Avatar

too much felt under the dash to stop squeaks which are holding wires out of place and making them touch?

Well, I ended up putting a 20A fuse in which also blew and something smelled burnt.

Alternator is dead. Massive mission getting home.
    Last edited by Disciple; 25-11-2010 at 09:32 PM.

recently i had a customer who replaced a 10A brake light fuse with a 20A on his 2008 Hi-Ace (petrol)..... anyway the final bill came to just shy of $3K, due to 3*burnt ecu's, burnt throttle pedal sensor, and charcoal chicken wiring loom replacement.

best tool for finding a short is made using a blown fuse that is bridged by a headlight globe.... limits current to about 5A and glows brighter when there is a short

I was going to say, don't replace a fuse with a higher rated one. The wiring running from that fuse might not be rated higher than the fuse, so in effect you turn the wire into the fuse.
    Unfortunately wires don't 'break' like a fuse, they melt and catch fire - the Hi-Ace could have been burnt to the ground, it was somewhat lucky.

We should always keep the $1 fuse as the weakest link in an electrical system, that's what it's designed for.

I hope you're even luckier with yours, Disciple.

Sold 2003 Magna Sports AWD: http://www.aussiemagna.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=103410. Now moved on to the AWD dark side

What Oggy said, he just said it better and more briefly than I.

It's often a pain tracing what makes fuses blow, but detective work is better than melting the loom out of a car and having to deal with the aftermath of that.
    Phil

TJ Sports '02 ( 5 man ) - bit of a roughy.

KJ Verada '00 ( 4 tippy ) - smoooooth!

I've melted something, but the alternator was already on the way out. The battery went flat last week or so and I recharged it, but didn't even think the alternator may have been to blame. The battery got me to work, but only half way home. Had to get the family to come bail me out at 10pm and it took us 2 hours to drive about 5km constantly stopping to recharge the battery with a small power pack. Driving with only parkers on is not fun, I can tell you.

Looks like I might be able to get an alternator today - Can you believe they're $1400 trade price from Mitsubishi? Needless to say I'll get an aftermarket one. Apparently they're a pain in the ass to change on these cars, so looks like I've got a lot of fun ahead of me tomorrow.

I don't know if this has anything to do with the fuse blowing, or what other damage I've done now by using the 20A fuse. I'll replace the alternator and go from there.

Cheers for the replies guys.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information