+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hole in Muffler on the seam - Fix or Replace?

Default Hole in Muffler on the seam - Fix or Replace?

Hi All,
    i found a lovely rusty hole in my muffler, right on the seam at the rear, i have temporarily fixed it with some Sculpey (Polymer Clay that bakes hard at 120c) it worked really well and was baked in within 10mins of driving, but the quesstion is is it possible to fix this without having to remake it or have ugly patches due to being visible from the ass end of the car? Or should i just lower it to hide it (Muffler putty suxks, the clay is doing a better job! and heaps cheaper at $4 a block)
    Otherwise if anyone has a Muffler to fit my TR pls let me know.

That's where they normally rust through. There will be a lot of rust inside the muffler just waiting to break through, you will be patching it up regularly. Have a look around the wreckers, you never know, you may be able to find a near new one.

Thanks Madmax, a new hole did come through but i screwed a screw into it and thats temp fixed too, now to source a new muffler..... Anyone got one laying about?

I wouldn't think so. Try a wreckers, you might find a good one. Prod them with a screwdriver.

Or go to a muffler shop and ask how much it is to weld in a new one.

In my cheapskate days I used to use a sheet of tin plate and wrap it around the muffler, and hold it on with some fencing wire.

Have you priced a new one?
    Last edited by MadMax; 18-01-2011 at 08:26 AM.

About to price a new one, or beg a dear friend of mine to fix it for me

A certain wreckers on South Rd should have them - I have much respect for those guys - the mechanic is a Legend!!

Hi Arielcream,

If its the standard muffler (walker branded) you need then i can help as i have one i removed from my TR when i replaced it with a Magnaflow muffler.

I can give it to you for $10 if your willing to pay the freight or pick up. No rust visable on it. You might find one at the wrecker more local to you but if it helps.
    Owner of 2nd gen TR White.Current build from 4G54 SOHC into 6G72 DOHC 3lt Twin Turbo.
    http://www.aussiemagna.com/forums/sh...085&highlight=

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information