Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Seatbelt Not Retracting

Default Seatbelt Not Retracting

G'day guys.

I thought i'd ask up on here as seatbelt's are obviously what stopping me from face-fiving someones boot if i got into a rear accident or something of the sort.

My drivers seatbelt isn't retracting most of the time. Before i just sprayed some WD40 on it i was wondering is there do's and don'ts when lubricating the belt? i don't wanna do something that will make it slip or need me to replace it if you get what i mean.

Cheers

AMC/// 3.5L 5 Speed Manual Conversion Division
    AMC/// Victorian Division

Russian Max - "He's our Token Fat Asian."
    !

My opinion only, but any lubricant like WD40 will only make things worse - it will attract dirt which will make things worse and cause it to stain your shirt. I've found that the belt becomes stiff due to dirt/perspiration etc ...the way to fix is to remove the belt assembly from the car and extend the belt fully, stop it retracting with a clothes peg, and then hand wash the belt fabric with any brand soap/detergent then rinse and finally rinse with "softly" or similar product that makes nappies soft. Hang the assembly to dry in the sun and then remove the clothes peg and re instal. Be careful not to get any water in the mechanism. It usually is the stiffness of the belt that prevents it retracting.
    It is possible to remove the belt from the retractor assembly and increase the spring tension...do a google search for that.
    If cash is unlimited you can always buy a new one.....ones from wrecks may exhibit the same problems as your does plus if the vehicle has been in a prang it is illegal to reuse the belt.

The only way to fix is to replace, you should never use any chemical on any seat belt

They are only about $130 brand new and given they can save your life, well worth the investment

It is not legal to sell a secondhand seatbelt for use in a road registered car thus why most will nto sell them
    Mits-fix E-Bay Store here

Mits-Fix on Facebook here

Like Hako said,rub the belt down a couple of times with a wet face washer with warm/hot soapy water is the best chance you have without replacing the mechanism

Quote Originally Posted by Madmagna View Post
    The only way to fix is to replace, you should never use any chemical on any seat belt

They are only about $130 brand new and given they can save your life, well worth the investment

It is not legal to sell a secondhand seatbelt for use in a road registered car thus why most will nto sell them
    Mal is right your better off buying a new belt, but if money is tight its only illegal to sell a 2nd hand seat belt from a car thats had a major crash if u can find a wreck with minor damage and inspect the belt carefully then its safer than one that doesn't retract and fit properly. most crash repairers wont replace seat belts after an accident unless the tab is showing.
    TJ Sports ////// AMC endorsed
    If so, stop the bull****ing on here and stop tring to be a hero behind your computer.
    you stupid twit.
    AMC ////// e-series division

Ahh i thought so! haha. little win for me yeah i didn't wanna lub it up and then the snap and hold mechanism turns into a slight grip and sliiiide

Thanks guys, what ill do is warm soapy water (not heaps just a bit) on the belt see if that helps free it up till i can replace it with another one.

AMC/// 3.5L 5 Speed Manual Conversion Division
    AMC/// Victorian Division

Russian Max - "He's our Token Fat Asian."
    !

Washing the belt will get it clean but will do nothing to the retractor mechanism. Take the belt right out of the car, and fully extend it, then lube the roller in the bottom section, but only the part that actually moves on its retaining bracket. Then exercise the belt by rolling it in and extending it a few times. Keep the bottom bit in its mounted position otherwise the lockup part will activate. It will loosen right up. No need to buy a new one unless the belt is frayed or the tab is showing. Treat it gently as there is an explosive device in there, no hitting it with a hammer or dropping it, ok?
    Last edited by MadMax; 06-02-2011 at 11:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MadMax View Post
    Washing the belt will get it clean but will do nothing to the retractor mechanism. Take the belt right out of the car, and fully extend it, then lube the roller in the bottom section, but only the part that actually moves on its retaining bracket. Then exercise the belt by rolling it in and extending it a few times. Keep the bottom bit in its mounted position otherwise the lockup part will activate. It will loosen right up. No need to buy a new one unless the belt is frayed or the tab is showing. Treat it gently as there is an explosive device in there, no hitting it with a hammer or dropping it, ok?
    Once again you amaze me. DO NOT bloody lube your belt, this is the No1 safety thing in your car, if this fails, your dead.

Just replace the thing and dont dice with death.

AMC ////// South Australian Division

Quote Originally Posted by whippedcream View Post
    Once again you amaze me. DO NOT bloody lube your belt, this is the No1 safety thing in your car, if this fails, your dead.

Just replace the thing and dont dice with death.
    Lube the belt = NO, lube the retractor mechanism = YES.
    Ever pulled one of these apart? Obviously not.

And put your brain in gear before you start putting up abusive posts.
    Last edited by MadMax; 06-02-2011 at 11:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MadMax View Post
    Lube the belt = NO, lube the retractor mechanism = YES.
    Ever pulled one of these apart? Obviously not.

And put your brain in gear before you start putting up abusive posts.
    Sorry mate, my post was not abusive. I was just saying that yeah u can go and lube the retractor up but your dicing with death when you have an accident...
    and yes i have pulled one of these apart... so dont start having a go at me telling me to "put my brain in to gear" when even Mitsubishi say that you cannot repair these items, they MUST be replaced.

AMC ////// South Australian Division

Closed Thread

Thread Information