+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Timing belt change at 5 years regardless of kms travelled

I have no idea. I do my own.

Banned

I would leave it till 100k.

It's crap, unless you've had coolant leaks etc I wouldn't do it at 55k..
    Last edited by Blackstar; 06-02-2011 at 08:00 PM.

my 380 was made dec 06 and done 81000kms and is due for service at 90,000kms with Jarvis Ford (who i will be working for as spare parts soon). I'm thinking of getting them to do the major service then so I know its over and done with and got that peace of mind. I love my car and want it to last for as long as I can.
    AMC //// SA
    AMC //// 380
    380 on 20's, Tinted, K&N Filter & 90mm intake

Quote Originally Posted by HaydenVRX View Post
    Im guessing the big service i need will cost me something like $800?
    I had this done on my TL 2 years ago and it was about $900 at a dealsership. Almost exactly half the cost was labour.
    Car - '03 TL Magna VRX (TL #16)- 5spd manual, sunroof, Flame red.
    Bike - '07 Hyosung GT250R - 5spd, Chilli red.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucifer
    For the love of God, learn grammar, spelling and punctuation.

You can get the timing belt only done for around $600-ish. But the same service interval also recommends plugs, etc - which are about $300 at a dealer (or $120 + half an hour if you do it yourself for a full set of platinums off the shelf). Timing belt isnt a very easy job to tackle yourself though, pretty much not recommended at all.

Basically if it lets go as others have said, your valves will hit the pistons and will at the very lease damage the valves (usually bent) and most likely also scar up the pistons = bad. And quite expensive to fix.

Honest truth? It may last, but just as much as it may/should last - people have had timing belts occasionally just fail for no good reason. and not even when thrashing the car.

at the very least if you decide to cheap out, check the condition visually. It's no guarantee but if you look at it and its cracking (or worst case, missing teeth) and stuff you'd know for sure you want to replace it, but as a general rule you cant tell that much by looking (or so i have been told on a few occasions)
    Official traitor

I've done a timing belt job on my TS V6 and TJ V6. My wife has a '04 Lancer that is overdue for its belt change, and she won't let me touch it because it hasn't done the Km. Whenever I drive it I'm worried that the belt will go at startup, so I drive it as little as possible. Big difference in peace of mind, I prefer to drive the TS for that reason. Like I said before, it's worth doing just for the peace of mind.

Quote Originally Posted by HaydenVRX View Post
    My 02 vr-x is still 66thou and it will be 2013 when it reachest 100k, maybe i should do the timing belt haha
    belt will most likely snap. id be changeing it now its allready to old
    Ralliart

Quote Originally Posted by danthevrxman View Post
    I was in the same boat last year with my magna as it's low in the mileage dept, the dealer said dont worry about doing it as he rarely if never sees them fail
    But if they do you are screwed as you will punch you valves through the top of your pistons!!! Spend the money and do it. The belts can and do perish over time and whilst it is probable that it wont in your case is really worth the risk for the money?
    Series 1 VR-X.
    90mm Intake, K&N Filter, resonator mod, Philips Xtreme H4 HID 6000K H7/17 Hankook V12 Ventus Evo, Redback Muffler,Tranny cooler.
    95 RON 10.3/100km mainly urban travel

Banned

I would go by the Mitsubishi service recommendation. It's there for a good reason.

Try pricing out Ultrahoon. They usually undercut the dealers by a fair amount and they have nationwide backing and warranty = peace of mind if you travel.
    Series 1 VR-X.
    90mm Intake, K&N Filter, resonator mod, Philips Xtreme H4 HID 6000K H7/17 Hankook V12 Ventus Evo, Redback Muffler,Tranny cooler.
    95 RON 10.3/100km mainly urban travel

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information