+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Timing belt change at 5 years regardless of kms travelled

Banned

Since when do timing belts go faulty after 5 years and only 50,000k's?

Come on guys.....it sounds like free $$$$ donations to the dealers.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackstar View Post
    Since when do timing belts go faulty after 5 years and only 50,000k's?

Come on guys.....it sounds like free $$$$ donations to the dealers.
    So what would you consider to be a safe extension to the service km or time?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by MadMax View Post
    So what would you consider to be a safe extension to the service km or time?

I would go by the kilometres.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackstar View Post
    I would go by the kilometres.
    My wife's Lancer has done 25,000 km in 7 years. Should I really let it go for 28 years? Nah, gonna change it soonish, as its 7 years old already. Mind you, the belt I changed on my TJ was 9 years old and had done 111,000 km, and still looked ok.
    Can I suggest that the km should be stuck to, but perhaps not take the belt beyond 7 or 8 years of age?

[I'm sure Madmagna will chime in here and tell me I'm wrong - again.]
    Last edited by MadMax; 07-02-2011 at 07:29 PM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by MadMax View Post
    My wife's Lancer has done 25,000 km in 7 years. Should I really let it go for 28 years? Nah, gonna change it soonish, as its 7 years old already. Mind you, the belt I changed on my TJ was 9 years old and had done 111,000 km, and still looked ok.
    Can I suggest that the km should be stuck to, but perhaps not take the belt beyond 7 or 8 years of age?

[I'm sure Madmagna will chime in here and tell me I'm wrong - again.]
    It all comes down to whether the car has been in a flood in queensland, whether the cooling system has been maintained etc etc.

The OP said his car was just out of warranty...I assume it's been perfectly maintained.

On that basis i wouldn't touch the belt.

Default tw awd vr-x TIMING BELT CHANGE

I just got a quote from Kloster's Mitsubishi $1300 WOW

Just for the belt, I do them for $375 plus parts on the 380, parts are $142.50 for the kit with seals and pulleys

I am sure you are also only being charged for a sole belt with nothing else either
    Mits-fix E-Bay Store here

Mits-Fix on Facebook here

The recommendation of 5 years or 100,000km is for safety. Of course you should be able to travel 120,000 or go 7 years without replacing it, just that you run an increased chance of something going wrong. If the belt fails at 5.5/6 years or 110,000 (for example), then it was probably already 'crook' at 5 years/100,000km, which would be worrying.

My TL had its cam belt changed at 136,000 km and 8 years. Teeth were perfect, but some of the backing rubber from the smooth side was starting to transfer to the front tensioner pulley.
    Caught it in time, but you would not want to go much beyond those numbers, IMHO.
    The belt I changed on my TJ was older at 9 years but had done less km, 111,000, and still looked ok.
    The Lancer belt was changed at 28,000 km and 8 years, looked perfect, writing on back still clearly legible.

Those observations tell me the Km recommendation is much more important than the time one.

As above: "The recommendation of 5 years or 100,000km is for safety." And in addition, to protect Mitsu from expensive engine rebuild claims if they quoted bigger numbers. It's an extremely conservative recommendation.

Then again, if you own a nice car like a 380, is it worth the extra worry every time you start the engine if you have ignored the belt change recommendations?
    Last edited by MadMax; 18-12-2012 at 03:57 PM.

did the belt on my grand fathers TS it was 23k's and 14 years old and looked like brand new.... depends alot on if its been exposed to oils, they will break down the rubber....

personally i wouldnt be in a hurry to replace it in ur case but have it on the agenda within the next say 12mnths or when u can afford it..

visually inspect it for piece of mind, check inside the timing cover for rubber dust that will tell u if its been rubbing.

i am currently driving a legnum with 60k's and is 12yrs old with for all i know the original belt.... Yes i am freaking out ATM !!!!!

edit hahahaha just realised its an old post..... s
    Last edited by Trotty; 18-12-2012 at 04:28 PM.
    Now twin turbo 4WD devision..... mhuahhahahahaha

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information