+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Stalling on startup

Default Stalling on startup

Hi, Iím wondering if anybody knows why my magna stalls. Itís a 2002 TJ Series 2 3.5 litre, It is a little bit over due for a major service/timing belt but that shouldn't make the car stall.

When you start the car it runs for about 3-5 seconds then dies it doesn't cough and splutter it just stops dead, but then you hit the key again and it will run fine.
    Sometimes it will do this 2-3 times before it runs, but once it is running it runs fine and it makes no difference if itís hot or cold itís just random.
    But it has never stalled while driving and itís now starting to idle rough sometimes

If anybody has any ideas or knows if you can do a self diagnostics test to see if it brings up any errors please let me know.
    Iíve spoke to a few mechanics about it but none of them have heard about them doing this and all have given me a different opinions.
    And being that the major service is due I want to work out whatís wrong before take it to a mechanic and they spend days trying to work it out and I get a massive bill

Any help would be great THANKS

I had the same problem and was told it was the battery. didnt think it was as the battery seemed ok.
    One day the battery gave up so had to get a new one.
    Have had no problem stating since the new battery.

could be a couple of things,i would reset the ecu,clean out the fuel filter,check fuel pressure/pump,try adjusting the idle thats what happend to my magna

PJUK - That's one thing I have been told and the battery isn't the best so I know that needs replacing I just don't want to start replacing everything that every person has said it could be. It gets very expensive doing it that way

jayy - I have replaced the fuel filter, and reset the ecu as thats the first thing that I thought of, I havent checked the pressure I might have to make something up to do that

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by danandstace View Post
    Hi, I’m wondering if anybody knows why my magna stalls. It’s a 2002 TJ Series 2 3.5 litre, It is a little bit over due for a major service/timing belt but that shouldn't make the car stall.

When you start the car it runs for about 3-5 seconds then dies it doesn't cough and splutter it just stops dead, but then you hit the key again and it will run fine.
    Sometimes it will do this 2-3 times before it runs, but once it is running it runs fine and it makes no difference if it’s hot or cold it’s just random.
    But it has never stalled while driving and it’s now starting to idle rough sometimes

If anybody has any ideas or knows if you can do a self diagnostics test to see if it brings up any errors please let me know.
    I’ve spoke to a few mechanics about it but none of them have heard about them doing this and all have given me a different opinions.
    And being that the major service is due I want to work out what’s wrong before take it to a mechanic and they spend days trying to work it out and I get a massive bill

Any help would be great THANKS
    I have had this exact same problem in my 2002 TJ SII VR-X.(132,xxx kms)
    Battery ended up dead, so I installed a new battery and it hasn't stalled once after starting the car since then.
    Last edited by DeviousVRX; 28-03-2011 at 03:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by danandstace View Post
    PJUK - That's one thing I have been told and the battery isn't the best so I know that needs replacing I just don't want to start replacing everything that every person has said it could be. It gets very expensive doing it that way

jayy - I have replaced the fuel filter, and reset the ecu as thats the first thing that I thought of, I havent checked the pressure I might have to make something up to do that

Thanks
    If you replace the battery since you know it's suspect it's not exactly wasting money but preventative maintenance. Better than getting stranded when it totally fails.
    I'm pretty sure there have been discussions about the ECU quitting when the supply voltage gets low but I can't comment from experience. If it runs normal other than it occasionally quits on startup then I very much doubt it's a fuel pressure issue. Probably a good idea to check the throttle body and make sure it's not dirty. Resetting the ECU can upset the idle until it re-learns.

When was the last time you checked the levels in your battery....

Usually its the Battery on its way out
    BAM////DIVISION

All of the above... I had the same problem when I first got my car and it was in fact the battery.

Cheers Luke
    WHITELINE l KING l MONROE l NOLATHANE l PBR l QFM l AKUZA l STREETFIGHTER l K&N l PACEMAKER l MAGNAFLOW
    Central Coast Division
    RICE
    Race Inspired Custom Enhancement

TW2005 - I'm happy to spend the money on a new battery and I have been meaning to get one over the last couple of weeks, I just wasn't sure if that would be the problem. And yes I have checked the throttle body, airflow sensor all the normall comon stuff that causes probs Thanks

Mitsi_Boi - I got the battery checked by a local battery place a about 3 weeks ago and he told me it was no good but then I borrowed the battery load tester from work, checked the levels which where a bit low, and tested it and it seamed to hold up ok droped to 10 volt and held there. I also checked it with my hydrometer or whatever they called and every cell came up dead so i figured my tester had died. Also tested it with my volt meter and when its cranking it droped to 8 volt which is prob a little bit low.

I Think I'll just buy a new battery after pay day and see what happens from there

Thanks heaps for the input

10v means its ****ed...... needs to sit above 12.2 12.3 ish

If the levels were a little low for a little while, the plates are probably cooked and the wont hold charge for very long
    Last edited by Mitsi_Boi; 28-03-2011 at 05:17 PM.
    BAM////DIVISION

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information