+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Triton ECU id?

Default Triton ECU id?

Can any one help me find the type,part no. or anything about my ECU ?

What i really need is a file ( .xml or .hex) which has the definitions relating to my ECU so the tuning program, ECUFlash will connect to my ECU and read it so that I can tune........

Quote Originally Posted by salt36 View Post
    Can any one help me find the type,part no. or anything about my ECU ?

What i really need is a file ( .xml or .hex) which has the definitions relating to my ECU so the tuning program, ECUFlash will connect to my ECU and read it so that I can tune........
    You need to identify the MCU (the actual microcontroller chip) in the ECU. If its the same as one of the chips used by the Evo X or CJ Lancer Ralliart, you should be able to use that vehicle type in ECUFlash to read the ROM.

Once you have a copy of the ROM image (.hex), you then need to find someone who can identify the maps in the ROM and compile the ROM definition file (.xml) used by ECUFlash to edit the ROM.

Then comes the tricky part (if the ECU is similar to the Evo X/Lancer Ralliart) - finding and updating the ROM checksum(s) before attempting to write the modified ROM image back to the ECU. If you don't get this right, the ECU refuses to operate the engine; though you should be able to reflash back to the original ROM read from the ECU.

I'm not familiar with the M32R CANBUS ECUs, so can't offer much help. I gather the Tritons were'nt sold in the USA, but the Challengers were - as the Montero Sport - so you might want to start searching for references to reflashing those ECUs. The OpenECU website, where ECUFlash's forums are hosted, is one place to start.

EDIT: your ECU should have a part number sticker on the casing. Knowing this, you can look for a spare from a wreck for R&D purposes (such as identifying the MCU and trying out reflashes) without risking your existing ECU.
    Last edited by WytWun; 24-04-2011 at 02:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WytWun View Post
    You need to identify the MCU (the actual microcontroller chip) in the ECU. If its the same as one of the chips used by the Evo X or CJ Lancer Ralliart, you should be able to use that vehicle type in ECUFlash to read the ROM.
    Yep this is a problem atm..... Am trying several options and lots of .xml files, so far no success, Evoscan will connect and log but the results are not as they should be. 2006+ ralliart colt turbo is the closest to my ECU that has been found so far but no read as yet......

Mine is a hybrid between ML Triton and MN Triton and has parts from both models, the Ignition and throttle are different between mine and ML, mine is electronic, The rest of ML are cable and distibuter......
    MN does not have a V6 petrol engine.......ML does, do it is anybodies guess what ECU they have thrown in mine.....( Mine is ML)

I'm confused and a little frustrated but will get there in the end

Yep this is a problem atm..... Am trying several options and lots of .xml files, so far no success, Evoscan will connect and log but the results are not as they should be. 2006+ ralliart colt turbo is the closest to my ECU that has been found so far but no read as yet......

Mine is a hybrid between ML Triton and MN Triton and has parts from both models, the Ignition and throttle are different between mine and ML, mine is electronic, The rest of ML are cable and distibuter......
    MN does not have a V6 petrol engine.......ML does, do it is anybodies guess what ECU they have thrown in mine.....( Mine is ML)
    I don't know whether any Oz delivered Pajero 3.5s used Coil On Plug ignition (the 3.8s and the Japanese market 3.5 GDIs did) so perhaps your "bitsa" got some sort of Pajero ECU? Pajero might also have had drive-by-wire too...

Or the 2nd gen Challenger - this is available in some markets with the 6G74, though not Oz...

BTW, is yours a manual or auto?

Also, with Evoscan are you trying to log using the MUT protocol or ODB2?

I'm confused and a little frustrated but will get there in the end
    I'm not surprised!

Quote Originally Posted by WytWun View Post

BTW, is yours a manual or auto?

Also, with Evoscan are you trying to log using the MUT protocol or ODB2?
    Mine is manual and have tried MUT and CAN 2006+, not sure if I tried the OBD2....

Could be a pajero ECU any guess is worth a try atm, I assume the Pajero is Thai built, the same as Triton ?

there are some Paj/Triton plastic case ECU's being sold on ebay at the moment , maybe you can read the part number off them or ask the seller a question.
    Oct 2002 Verada , owned by my other half. I'm only allowed to drive it to the pizza shop unfortunately.

One Plan B is to use a piggyback - not a solution I'd prefer, but if you can't get into the stock ECU....

If Mitsu detuned the Triton 6G74 by using a lot less ignition advance than the Magna 6G74s, a piggyback should produce quite decent results just by adjusting the timing.

EDIT: Have you got the part number for the ECU in the vehicle?
    Last edited by WytWun; 28-04-2011 at 07:26 PM.

Came across a reference to a russian developed package that claims to support reading/reflashing a variety of M32R based ECUs: MMC Flash. It appears that Evoscan may be in the process of setting up as a reseller for this. As a result of splitting the support for specific processor cores across several modules, to go forward with this you really need to open the ECU casing and get the numbers off the chips so you only get the module you need (9000 rubles being about $300).

Excellent, so far yes this does support my processor, MH8302F

Waiting for RPW to open to ask if Dave has found success with the Triton he was tuning.

Thank you !

All good, Dave assures me the mmcflash will do the job !

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information