+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Throttle position sensor, does it affect transmission shift pattern?

Default Throttle position sensor, does it affect transmission shift pattern?

Still got my transmission problem of the engine doing 3 grand before it changes gears, just wondering would a faulty Throttle position sensor cause this? cheers

the tps does affect shift points etc, but first try resetting ecu, always first thing to try , shift points will vary depending how you drive.
    JDM '95 Diamante 30M , 6G72 3l DOHC MIVEC, 200kW @ 7000rpm
    Now Catalytic converter free!
    http://www.aussiemagna.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=79217

Quote Originally Posted by robssei View Post
    the tps does affect shift points etc, but first try resetting ecu, always first thing to try , shift points will vary depending how you drive.
    Thanks for your reply, I tried resetting the ecu, made no diffrence, even with a light foot on take off it will do at least 2800 revs before going into 2nd, same with going from 2nd into 3rd, it will rev and wont change till about 55-60 k's an hour, same with down shifting, it goes back gears to soon.

I don't think this affects downshifts, but I'd be checking the transmission fluid level.

And, long shot, but check the hand brake or brakes aren't dragging. How's performance otherwise I'm aiming at here. If the transmission is labouring there may be a fault elsewhere.

After that - contact cleaner. Clean all the electrical connections.

It could be the TPS is out of adjustment... but only try to adjust it after you've confirmed it is out. Needs to be done properly. Voice of experience here.
    I'm not a complete idiot - some bits are missing.

Quote Originally Posted by Skapper View Post
    I don't think this affects downshifts, but I'd be checking the transmission fluid level.

And, long shot, but check the hand brake or brakes aren't dragging. How's performance otherwise I'm aiming at here. If the transmission is labouring there may be a fault elsewhere.

After that - contact cleaner. Clean all the electrical connections.

It could be the TPS is out of adjustment... but only try to adjust it after you've confirmed it is out. Needs to be done properly. Voice of experience here.
    Hi Skapper, thanks for your reply, fluid level is fine, only changed a month ago, all brakes are good and not dragging, performance seems ok. What problems can be assoicated when the TPS is maladjusted?

What problems can be assoicated when the TPS is maladjusted?
    From one extreme - car feels like its engine shuts doWn at light throttle, followed by "kangaroo jumping" until enough throttle is applied. This, in my experience, was from not enough adjustment - not using the 1.4mm setting when checking TPS adjustment. The other extreme is what you're having now - extremely late (high revs) upshifts - over adjusting the TPS or greater than 3mm when checking the TPS. But, I cant recall the downshifts being "early".

I've found using long feeler gauges, with a slight bend in them, is the most accurate and easiest/surest way to adjust the TPS. That and a good multimeter and checking/rechecking after tightening everything up.

Bear in mind the TPS just doesnt fall out of adjustment suddenly. Unless its been removed or damaged it should be one of the last points of call in your diagnosis.
    Last edited by Skapper; 29-05-2011 at 06:02 PM. Reason: TYPE-O'S... HOPE I GOT THEM ALL.
    I'm not a complete idiot - some bits are missing.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information