+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ralliart Colt gearbox/clutch issue

Default Ralliart Colt gearbox/clutch issue

Our Ralliart Colt has developed a noise coming from the gearbox/flywheel area. Kinda sounds like a big end bearing (if you've ever heard one before) or like a rattling kind of sound coming from the gearbox/clutch/flywheel area.

It only happens when the car is cold, and it goes away when you put your foot on the clutch.

The gearbox has some rollover noise, which is normal, but this a very noticeable rattling sound.

Any ideas?

Cheers.

I have heard this is a fairly common problem, it is clutch bearing noise. Have you got the dealer to check it out?
    Last edited by Braedz; 15-07-2011 at 12:34 PM.

Sounds like a thrust bearing to me.
    WHITELINE l KING l MONROE l NOLATHANE l PBR l QFM l AKUZA l STREETFIGHTER l K&N l PACEMAKER l MAGNAFLOW
    Central Coast Division
    RICE
    Race Inspired Custom Enhancement

yep thrust bearing is a good suggestion
    2002 TJ VR-X Series II | King Springs & KYB | Morel & Focal | Pewter | goeslikeashot | WITH ONLY 61K on the clock

Haven't had the car back to the dealer yet. I just wanted to get an idea of what's going on before I go and see them. Chances are they'll probably try and say that the gearbox oil I've used is not as per the manual and it's caused the problem. Even though the thrust bearing has zero to do with the gearboxes operation.

Edit: Thing is, the gearbox has always been kinda noisy. Plenty of rollover noise, which I've come to accept. But this noise is quite loud and rattly and is of some concern. It doesn't seem to make any difference to the actual changing of gears or the way the gearbox operates.
    Last edited by Disciple; 15-07-2011 at 01:16 PM.

The Rcolts gearboxes are not the quietest units around, and I know of a few people that have had repaired under warranty...
    Come over to Rcolt and have a chat... Bit of knowledge there...

my car used to make that noise, turned out to be the clutch plate springs and rubbers were lose, causing it to be rattly. new clutchplate (pressure plate and throwout bearing), and after 80 thou its coming back again, i am guessing so anyway. does it stop if you put it in gear and just let the clutch ride? thats what mine did.
    Stock MY04 Forester << Motor Build finished, and finally going OK.... after 2 crashes, 1 blown motor, 1 blown gearbox and countless CV shafts.

Daily: 1995 Hyundai excel, 4sp auto, A/C, CD player. Under RE-construction

Any One Got A Milk Crate ..GONE..'s Avatar

Is it relative to load or revs..?

SuFz
    Quote Originally Posted by simonhaha View Post
    Updating this thread...

just to let yall know, its been 2 years now and have moved in together like last month.

Ive just proposed to her on the weekend....

we are getting Married !!!

AMC///Relationship Advisor

Quote Originally Posted by ..GONE.. View Post
    Is it relative to load or revs..?

SuFz
    Not that I've noticed mate.

I think I'm gonna take it to a mate mechanic and get him to change the throwout bearing and see how we go. I did some reading on Mitsubishi's warranty, and it appears this falls under "general wear and tear item".

My car was doing a similar thing (Legnum)

Rattly sound when in idle/neutral, if i put my foot on clutch stopped.. turnair aircon on (changed engine load) stopped.

after replacing my clutch it went away. as others have suggested i highly suspect it was the thrust bearing hence putting load on it with the clutch pedal stopped the noise.. the aircon thing i imagine was just changing resonant frequencies.
    Official traitor

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information