+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Six speed manual transmission for 6G75?

Default Six speed manual transmission for 6G75?

I'm seriously keen on getting a six speed manual transmission with LSD and I'm looking for advice.
    I already have a stock five speed manual.
    AFAICT the 2006 US Galant Ralliart came with a six speed manual as an option, but it was then discontinued.
    Also the 2006 to 2010(??) Eclipse GT.
    So far I haven't been able to find out if either of these manual transmissions came stock with an LSD.
    And of course if I could locate such a transmission would it bolt up to my 380 at all?
    And if it would bolt up would it be a straight swap or would I need to source & change other parts such as driveshafts? And maybe some engineering of some parts would be needed?
    And some idea of cost - purchase, shipping and installation. I'm guessing anywhere between $2,000 & $5,000 all up if it could be done.
    I've Googled and seached eBay Motors and found nothing. Do second hand Galant/Eclipse six speed manual trans even exist?
    I know it's a long shot, but worth exploring I reckon. The sixth speed itself could pay for much of it in reduced fuel bills over the next six or seven years, as I do about 10,000k a year of freeway/country road driving and the fuel economy in 5th gear is nothing to write home about.
    I know I could get a 3rd gen manual final drive fitted for around $1,000 and improve fuel economy a bit but I'd much rather have a six speed, and an LSD while I'm at it. It would be unique in a 380 as far as I know.
    Feel free to 'tell him he's dreamin'!

KJ.
    Now Mitsu-less for the first time in 29 years!

DOMO KUN!!!!!!!!!!!! Mecha-wombat's Avatar

Life would know he has researched this area before

From what I've seen in the past - a 6 speed's final gear is rarely much taller than the 5th gear, basically it's just a close ratio box.

But I've never heard of the Mitsu 6 speed, so no idea if it fits in this category.
    Do you know the ratios of the two boxes you're comparing?

Graham.

Sold 2003 Magna Sports AWD: http://www.aussiemagna.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=103410. Now moved on to the AWD dark side

Quote Originally Posted by Oggy View Post
    From what I've seen in the past - a 6 speed's final gear is rarely much taller than the 5th gear, basically it's just a close ratio box.

But I've never heard of the Mitsu 6 speed, so no idea if it fits in this category.
    Do you know the ratios of the two boxes you're comparing?

Graham.
    Graham,

I don't anything about the 'box other than it was an option on the Galant Ralliart and the Eclipse GT.

Even if it's a close ratio box I'm guessing that the overall gearing in 6th is still a fair bit bit taller than the stupidly short 5th gear in a manual 380 (near as dammit to 3,000rpm at 110km/h).

So some info about the ratios (including final drive ratio) would be handy to know.

KJ.

Quaife US have done a LSD for the Aisen Eclipse 6 speed, so if you can find a box this will very likely be possible.
    New ride - Lexus IS350 F Sport
    Old ride - Supercharged Mitsubishi 380

See my new ride here!
    See my old ride here!

AMC /// LEXUS

OK, done some more searching on eBay, found three of these boxes for sale in the US.
    Price range $1,100 to $1,300 US.
    Thing is none of the sellers ship OS.
    Maybe I can twist an arm?
    But could cost a packet to ship to Oz.

Done a whole heap more checking on the interwebz and still can't tell if this box came with an LSD.
    But going by Foozr's advice prolly not, otherwise why would Quaife do an LSD for it.

So looking like it would cost a packet to buy one of these, get it shipped to Oz, get an LSD for it, and get it fitted.
    Prolly more than my 380 is worth.

Yep, looks like he's dreamin'.

KJ.

Ok, did some serious googling. Found these as the specs for the 6 speed in the eclipse

Probably wouldnt cost a hell of a lot more than I spent to get my Quaife custom machined & fitted to the 5 speed
    New ride - Lexus IS350 F Sport
    Old ride - Supercharged Mitsubishi 380

See my new ride here!
    See my old ride here!

AMC /// LEXUS

That's a seriously short 6th gear ratio!

i doubt you would make back your money in fuel savings with just the extra gear ratio. Wouldn't it be more effecient to just get lpg with the rebate and get the savings in fuel that way??

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information