+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Six speed manual transmission for 6G75?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    Blackstar did it AFAIK
    With an auto box, not a manual.

So did Fooz.

AFAIK no-one has ever put an LSD in a manual 380 box.

Maybe one of the IPRA guys????

KJ.
    Now Mitsu-less for the first time in 29 years!

Quote Originally Posted by TreeAdeyMan View Post

So did Fooz.

KJ.
    KJ I'm pretty sure the manual is the same series box as the Magnas so a Quaife should slot straight in. I looked & looked for years before I ended up with what I have now for the auto. If you are serious about this you can get the Quaife centre from RPW & they will credit it back if it isn't right (I asked this question originally). Find a good transmission guy & get them to pull your box & check it. It cost me $700 to pull it out, break it apart & fit the modified Quaife (which included a little bit of casting grinding & a flush with new fluid) & reassemble & install. The worst you would be out of pocket would be $700 but I'm sure if it doesn't drop straight in it would be a minor thing not like the auto. I had to pay for $2200 worth of machining on top of everything else which you should be able to avoid being manual.

$2000 could see you driving away LSD equiped if you just bite the bullet
    New ride - Lexus IS350 F Sport
    Old ride - Supercharged Mitsubishi 380

See my new ride here!
    See my old ride here!

AMC /// LEXUS

Quote Originally Posted by TreeAdeyMan View Post

So did Fooz.

KJ.
    There is/was at least 1 of the IPRA magnas that was running a LSD equipped 380 box that was also retro fitted with the taller 3.5 magna diff ratio. Last i heard from the said person was the LSD (kaaz) had shit itself and they were changing over to a Quaife or wavetrac unit, mind you this was earlier this year.
    Last edited by Jasons VRX; 03-08-2011 at 08:28 AM.

Manual is similar but different

The drive shafts are the same spline as the auto, to put an lsd in requires remounting the centre to the crownwheel but can and has been done
    Mits-fix E-Bay Store here

Mits-Fix on Facebook here

Ok well if the splines are the same as the auto you will be up for the same as I was in the auto. Somewhere around $4-4.5K to do it with a Quaife centre.

See my new ride here!
    See my old ride here!

AMC /// LEXUS

For around $2k all up a Quaife LSD with the Magna final drive ratio seems a fair proposition.

But $4k to $4.5k is pushing it a bit far, that's why I thought maybe a used six speed box with LSD as standard from the good ol' US of A might be a better way to go. Same cost, maybe less, and the bonus of a six speed box and a unique car.

The lower fuel consumption in top gear isn't the main thing for me, that would just be an added bonus. The LSD is the main thing.

Have to think about it a bit more, thanks for the advice & suggestions.

KJ

The original TMR 220 show car (382) is fitted with a Torsen LSD and I recently fitted another one to my white race car no. 380 after taking out the welded up hemisphere, Simple job, just bolt the crown wheel on and drop it in, but I'm not happy with the result, the car was faster with the totally locked diff so I'll be taking both LSD's out soon, PM me if interested.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Byers View Post
    The original TMR 220 show car (382) is fitted with a Torsen LSD and I recently fitted another one to my white race car no. 380 after taking out the welded up hemisphere, Simple job, just bolt the crown wheel on and drop it in, but I'm not happy with the result, the car was faster with the totally locked diff so I'll be taking both LSD's out soon, PM me if interested.
    Thanks Neil, PM sent.

I've done a lot more checking into the Aisen 6 speed manual trans fitted to US Galants & Eclipses, and I still can't find anything that says one way or another if it includes an LSD.

I'm guessing that because LSD is not mentioned at all in anything I've checked it's 99% certain it doesn't include an LSD.

If it did include an LSD surely someone somewhere would have spruiked it.

Looking more and more like getting a 6 speed manual trans with LSD fitted would cost a bomb.

Now to decide between 6 speed manual trans without LSD or stick with the stock 5 speed and add LSD & maybe Magna final drive gear.

KJ I can almost gaurantee you the 6 speed won't have an LSD, there is no reason it would be placed in a stock transmission supplied with a stock vehicle unless it was a limited edition performance release which the Eclipse wasn't. Quaife told me via email they had developed a diff for this box which implies it definitely didnt have one standard otherwise why would they bother.

If you can get the LSD from Neil above at the right price I think it's a no brainer ......

See my new ride here!
    See my old ride here!

AMC /// LEXUS

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information