+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The Emotional Side to engineering

Default The Emotional Side to engineering

Sup guys,

thought i'd just share my experience;

I've had my series 3 SX electro blue since Friday after an extensive wait, and have kept it locked in the driveway and keys hidden inside to 'discourage' my family members from borrowing it. Yesterday i went off to parklife, letting Dad drop me at a mates house in it and letting him keep the keys for overnight.

Imagine my feelings when the next day i see the front left side of the front bar has the biggest scrape, paint missing everywhere, and then having the lens not only scratched deeply but having the whole headlight unit pushed out of place? now this isn't a new car and has its share of scratches, but i almost died/could have killed someone when i saw it.

Now i have 2 questions; 1) have you had a similar experience? and 2) can we shed some light on your maintenance routines to get those scratches and scrapes out? has anyone used touch up paint on their 380?

Cheers, mick

Touch up paint sucks. I've used it before but I'd never use it again. It might make damage less obvious from a distance, but up close it looks tacky and sticks out like the proverbial.

Paint transfer can be cleaned off, either with polish or some other cleaner. Light scratches can also be removed. My favourite off-the-shelf product is Meguiars ScratchX. However, the rule of thumb is that if you can catch the scratch with your fingernail, you're not going to be able to completely remove it - the best you can do is make it less obvious. If you love your car like I think you do, your only option to get it fixed properly is to head to a panel beater.

Meguiars also make a product called PlastX for plastics (including headlights). I'd say it wouldn't completely remove the scratch on the headlight, but with a bit of elbow grease you could probably get it looking a bit better.
    Last edited by Red Valdez; 03-10-2011 at 04:01 PM.
    Current Ride: 1997 NL Pajero GLS

Former Ride: 2005 380 GT

The one that started it all: 2001 TJ Magna VR-X
    Voted AMC /// /// QMD Best Overall Car 2011

I've used touch up paint before (bottle and brush) and it looked crap - but if u you do go down that route make sure you use the thinest amount of paint possible and polish after.

Depending on where the scratch is, you can sometimes get away with spray painting it yourself. I have done this about 10 times on my car and the result is unoticable. My car is black paint with green flecks and you cant even tell where i sprayed - and the paint i used was straight black. But the scratch has always been really low on the front under the fog lights facing downwards - where the body kit scrapes on gutters etc. I wouldn't use this method on top or side faceing panels like bonets or doors.

Get your dad to bloody pay for it!
    Current - 2011 Renault Clio RS Cup Trophee

My Magna LE - Sold

/// Sydney Cyclists Division

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    This! Man I'd be sooo pissed off if that happened haha. But my dad is a good driver and I would trust him with my car more than I trust myself .

Put up a photo of the damage mate and maybe we could be more helpful . There are mobile scratch repair mobs around, some of which do a fantastic job for smallish scratches and scuffs and are fairly affordable.
    AMC//SA

My BLACK 1997 KF Verada XI

My old 1990 TP Elite

Dude, I know its family but this needs to be fixed properly. Have your dad repair it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Life View Post
    Dude, I know its family but this needs to be fixed properly. Have your dad repair it.
    We don't actually no the whole story, maybe it wasn't his dads fault at all. Do you have insurance? Is the damage worthy of putting in a claim? Maybe your dad could help you pay for the excess and get it all done properly.

Reckon i could sue him for psychological shock/distress? Nah can't be sure it was him, and he had to put up with my filthy mood all day anyway...

Quote Originally Posted by Red Valdez View Post

Meguiars also make a product called PlastX for plastics (including headlights). I'd say it wouldn't completely remove the scratch on the headlight, but with a bit of elbow grease you could probably get it looking a bit better.
    yeah i work at a fleet leasing company with many top mechanics gone maintenance controllers, going by the fingernail rule the car isnt in too bad shape, and most of them suggested meguiars, especially for waxing. i think what ill do is use the spray wax, so every fortnight you just give it a quick little touch up, seems legit.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben3.0TH View Post
    We don't actually no the whole story, maybe it wasn't his dads fault at all. Do you have insurance? Is the damage worthy of putting in a claim? Maybe your dad could help you pay for the excess and get it all done properly.
    I'm 19, green p's, i wouldn't dare make a claim on something this small haha. I got comprehensive as i drive 150kms a day, but pushed the excess to $2000 and the car value to $20000 (as much as i love her, she's not worth anywhere near that much) so i'd only really approach the insurance company if i managed to write her off.

It's not bad bad, but i guess enough to make me cringe every time i see it. i'll chuck a photo up, just as soon as someone can quicklink me to a page showing how to operate all these forum tools

On The Hour, Every Hour....... Minimum TiMi's Avatar
    20.1sec 400m

Quote Originally Posted by TiMi View Post
    Thanks mate, I'll get amongst it tomorrow and we'll get into some cosmetic surgery!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information