+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: TL Magna overheating?

Although the price for a new radiator from the following site seems too good to be true, if it is actually true, I would buy this brand new item and start over.

Part Number: MR928785
    Availability: In Stock
    Ex Tax: $28.62
    Price: $31.48
    + shipping

http://radiatordirect.com.au/Radiato...A-TXV-MR928785

Water pump impeller problem?

I very much doubt it.

Although, @200,000 km they are due to be swapped out.

But, I imagine there would be hundreds of poorly maintained 3rd gen. Magnas with water pumps that have done much greater than this distance and are still working fine.

I would look at other causes and rectify them before going to the effort/expense of changing the water pump.
    Last edited by leadfoot6; 12-12-2017 at 10:00 PM.

P.S. You said that you replaced your radiator with a new one 12 months ago.

What prompted you to make this change?

How was the cooling system performing before this change?

Sorry about my late reply.....work and a major health issue have intervened, and I have simply been driving the car around with the air con permanently on.

I replaced the radiator less than a year ago only because the plastic in the top tank had cracked and it was slowly leaking. The symptoms were that the temperatute gauge went up a little.....not a lot. The car did not overheat.
    I had been so used to it staying on half that I knew without a doubt that something was going screwy.

I might repeat here one odd current symptom : for some time, when I put my hand at the inside edge of the "normal" fan, it has hot air blowing through. That's the edge nearest the middle.
    But the outside (passenger-side) edge does not.....though eventually after a fair few Ks it does.

I can only conclude that (A) The water pump impeller has worn out, or (B) that the radiator has become clogged up with "gravel" and crap from the cooling system.....which is unlikely because I keep it very clean by replacing coolant evcery year or year and a half. But it's gotta be one of those two...at least in my mind.

No problems before that, or since.

I would still go for a flow test on the radiator, just because its new doesn't make it good.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information