+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Termostat Temperature Higher than normal - auto tranny behaving erratic

Default Termostat Temperature Higher than normal - auto tranny behaving erratic

Hi Guys,

i know this is probably warranty stuff... but any thoughts on...

I notice y'day evening that the tranny started behaving a little erratic in gear changing... and then i noticed that the termostat is showing much higher engine temperature than usually... (my normal is below number 3 of manual gear dot)... now its much higher but not in the red...

also i experimented with the air/con... when the air/con is on its getting higher... but when i put heating on 32 degrees the termostat dropped to the usual temperature...

also both fans on the radiator are working hard...and quite noisy...

any ideas? thanks marcel
    SX 2007 III # 23762, 90mm intake, K&N Filter, lower resonator mod, kings lows, tranny cooler

DOMO KUN!!!!!!!!!!!! Mecha-wombat's Avatar

Its is normal
    it was BLOODY HOT yesterday

When the trans gets hot it will become "erratic" a trans cooler sorts that out

My trans temp sits normally @90-92c yesterday it was closer to 100c due to the heatsoak on the road

hi - thanks, i have tranny cooler... the thing is that the water termo is changing quite a bit (never before) up and down... quite bit of temperature changes over even a short trip... and the Fans ware so noisy... they never worked that hard... maybe I wait for cooler day ;-)

also i owned the car in the hottest days (no tranny cooler back than) around 40 for some 2-3 weeks - this year January / February - and the water termo did not move a bit over standard temperature... funny
    Last edited by smarc78; 24-10-2011 at 09:35 AM. Reason: update
    SX 2007 III # 23762, 90mm intake, K&N Filter, lower resonator mod, kings lows, tranny cooler

Is a transmission cooler worth getting if you don't have a towbar?
    Last edited by Minotaur; 24-10-2011 at 06:59 PM.

DOMO KUN!!!!!!!!!!!! Mecha-wombat's Avatar

yup

all about keeping that box happy

id say yes - cooler cant do any damage in the long term... brought the car to Mits dealer and waiting for findings... by the way Mecha... this morning was quite cold and the symptoms were the same... hope they fix it... my guess is either Water Pump, Thermostat or Timing Belt - in case it is Timing Belt - and the car is long before this needs to be done (another 15,000 or 1 year) do you think its part of warranty??? id say it could be
    Last edited by smarc78; 25-10-2011 at 10:46 AM. Reason: update

all fixed... it was faulty thermostat not regulating coolant properly... this brings in some questions of extra tranny cooler... the temperature did not rise to the max...
    1. the car tranny was already behaving erratically, jerking etc. - i would not expect this
    2. how would the car behave without extra tranny cooler
    3. what is the effectivity of tranny cooler

i can notice improvement after tranny cooler but even a temperature rising beyond half on the thermostat was able to overheat tranny oil to behave odd...

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information