+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: How do you remove dash facia on a TF Executive?

  1. #1
    ben205vs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Victoria
    Posts
    234

    Default How do you remove dash facia on a TF Executive?

    Hey guys,

    I just ordered a new 'Heater Controller Assembly' off Mitsubishi today as the fan is only blowing towards your face no matter what setting it is turned to (demister, legs, etc).

    Just wondering if anyone can tell me how to remove the facia around the controls? I can't see any screws anywhere and I don't want to stick a screwdriver in and hope for the best haha.

    If a picture is needed if you don't know what i'm talking about then ill post one up. But its just the facia that goes around the heater controls, radio, speed alert, etc.

    Thanks in advance.
    1997 Mitsubishi TF Magna Executive Sedan, 2.4L 4G64
    2001 Mitsubishi TJ Magna Executive Sedan, 3.5L 6G74

  2. #2
    MYKHVERADA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    New South Wales
    Posts
    423

    Default

    That link is for a KJ Verada Xi, but this will be the same process for your car, just less the climate control. I used this on my KH Xi when changing the raido. Helped me a lot.
    This Mitsubishi dash is one of the easiest dash boards I've ever had to take out.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OumNU...ure=plpp_video
    Quote Originally Posted by ben205vs View Post
    Hey guys,

    I just ordered a new 'Heater Controller Assembly' off Mitsubishi today as the fan is only blowing towards your face no matter what setting it is turned to (demister, legs, etc).

    Just wondering if anyone can tell me how to remove the facia around the controls? I can't see any screws anywhere and I don't want to stick a screwdriver in and hope for the best haha.

    If a picture is needed if you don't know what i'm talking about then ill post one up. But its just the facia that goes around the heater controls, radio, speed alert, etc.

    Thanks in advance.

  3. #3
    scorcher93's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Victoria
    Posts
    479

    Default

    Did you self diagnose the issue? It might be a good idea to check the connection on the unit at the rear of the center area (not the actual control assembly, the unit below and behind it).

    Remove the drivers kick panel, and have a look at the blue cable coming down from the control unit. if it's broken there you'll need to order that part. However, if you're sure you've got the issue narrowed down to the control unit, then...

    Open the centre console, place your selector in Neutral, and pull the surround out by putting your hand in the coin holder near the console, and clenching and pulling upwards. if your hands are too small, find another way of pulling it up. Once you have this out, remove the ashtray by pushing the black top flap down and pulling it out. Now put your hand through the hole, and grab the far end of the metal that acts as a top above the ashtray. this unit may be hard to remove, so pull at it. Once removed, you can pull the facia away. Pull the bottom out about 3cm's, then get a screw driver and poke it about a CM (just enough for leverage) through the gap between the top of the climate controls and the vent. push the handle of the screwdriver down so it levers the vent up and out. Apply for both sides, and pull it out enough so you can push back up on the screwdriver so it levers the lower unit down and outwards. Do on both sides, and the unit sound come out enough for you to see two screws holding the climate controls to the facia. loosen these, pull the facia away, and Remove the 3 (I think) cables that control temp, air direction (feet, face, demist etc) and recycle or outside air.

    Refer to the Service manual too.
    subwoofer option audio 12 street series
    front option audio 6 3 way Coaxials
    rear option audio 6x9 3 way Coaxials
    headunit clarion vx401a

  4. #4
    ben205vs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Victoria
    Posts
    234

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MYKHVERADA View Post
    That link is for a KJ Verada Xi, but this will be the same process for your car, just less the climate control. I used this on my KH Xi when changing the raido. Helped me a lot.
    This Mitsubishi dash is one of the easiest dash boards I've ever had to take out.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OumNU...ure=plpp_video
    Ah thanks very much for that mate. I just went out to the car with a torch and it all unclipped exactly like it did in the video.

    You were right, it is one of the easiest dashes to pull apart haha.
    1997 Mitsubishi TF Magna Executive Sedan, 2.4L 4G64
    2001 Mitsubishi TJ Magna Executive Sedan, 3.5L 6G74

  5. #5
    ben205vs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Victoria
    Posts
    234

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scorcher93 View Post
    Did you self diagnose the issue? It might be a good idea to check the connection on the unit at the rear of the center area (not the actual control assembly, the unit below and behind it).

    Remove the drivers kick panel, and have a look at the blue cable coming down from the control unit. if it's broken there you'll need to order that part. However, if you're sure you've got the issue narrowed down to the control unit, then...

    Open the centre console, place your selector in Neutral, and pull the surround out by putting your hand in the coin holder near the console, and clenching and pulling upwards. if your hands are too small, find another way of pulling it up. Once you have this out, remove the ashtray by pushing the black top flap down and pulling it out. Now put your hand through the hole, and grab the far end of the metal that acts as a top above the ashtray. this unit may be hard to remove, so pull at it. Once removed, you can pull the facia away. Pull the bottom out about 3cm's, then get a screw driver and poke it about a CM (just enough for leverage) through the gap between the top of the climate controls and the vent. push the handle of the screwdriver down so it levers the vent up and out. Apply for both sides, and pull it out enough so you can push back up on the screwdriver so it levers the lower unit down and outwards. Do on both sides, and the unit sound come out enough for you to see two screws holding the climate controls to the facia. loosen these, pull the facia away, and Remove the 3 (I think) cables that control temp, air direction (feet, face, demist etc) and recycle or outside air.

    Refer to the Service manual too.
    I called an auto elec and he didn't know if it was operated electrically or by vacuum, and I wasn't sure either. So I called up mitsubishi and gave them the vin number, and they said it will be the contoller assembly $265 but there is none left in Australia so I have to wait 3 weeks for it to come from Japan.

    I pulled off the driver side kick panel and I couldn't see a blue cable anywhere behind there... Where exactly does it run? From the control unit to where?

    By the way, its only an executive and it only has the 3 knobs and a/c, rear demist switches. Not the climate control with the screen.
    1997 Mitsubishi TF Magna Executive Sedan, 2.4L 4G64
    2001 Mitsubishi TJ Magna Executive Sedan, 3.5L 6G74

  6. #6
    ben205vs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Victoria
    Posts
    234

    Default

    Another problem is that when I turn the A/C switch on (and the green light comes on), most of the time it wont switch back off. Would that be a faulty switch? I have been told that it comes with the heater controller assembly but I have my doubts as it wasn't shown on the picture that was faxed to me from Mitsubishi spare parts.
    1997 Mitsubishi TF Magna Executive Sedan, 2.4L 4G64
    2001 Mitsubishi TJ Magna Executive Sedan, 3.5L 6G74

  7. #7
    Official Traitor. MagnaP.I's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Victoria
    Posts
    2,110

    Default

    Firstly mate - you definitely do not have climate control. Not on any TF magna. Only the KE/KF/KH Verada's and some TJ Magna's.

    By "Heater Controller Assembly" do you mean the dials that control the airflow & heater, or the actual blower behind the dash?

    How did you diagnose this is the problem? Did you inspect it yourself or relied on the auto lecky?

    The reason I ask is that your airflow system for your heating is completely mechanical. Your dials are manually operated and are connected to the various blowers/assemblies via cables. The heater assembly in the middle of the dash has flaps that are opened and closed using plastic levers on the side of the box. These rarely break with serious force so I don't think the heater assembly is faulty.

    I'm far more certain that a cable has come loose and as a result the air flow is not being changed when you turn the dial. So before you go off and spend $260 (!!!) for a new heater assembly thoroughly inspect and be assured that it is the problem. If you need to, take out the drivers kick panel and inspect the side of the heater airbox. There will be white plastic levers on the side. Turn the air flow dial on the heater controls and see if the white levers on the side move. Try and move them yourself as they may be jammed. If they do not move then look for a thick purple wire around that area. It should be about 4mm thick and have a open ring on the end. This should be connected to a lever. If you cannot find the wire or the end of it is not connected to anything then this is your problem. In such case, the purple cable needs to be reattached to the right lever. The unattached lever shouldn't be too hard to find as it'll be the one with a massive shaft sticking out of it.

    Otherwise the cable may be disconnected at the heater controls so undo the centre console incl. radio facia and inspect that two thick wires are connected to mechanical switches/levers. One of them will be purple and located behind the air flow selection switch and the other under the switch that controls where the air comes from (inside or outside).

    Let us know how you go. If you need instructions on how to remove the console and/or drivers kick panel then feel free to ask. I've removed both manual heater controls and auto climate-control dashes numerous times.
    Quote Originally Posted by MightyCarMods
    I'd rather lose by a mile because I built my own car, than win by an inch because someone else built it for me. Your car is your story, so don't let someone else write the book.
    AMC// Ex-Magna Maniac Division
    AMC// Rub-a-Vee-Dub-Dub Division

  8. #8
    scorcher93's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Victoria
    Posts
    479

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ben205vs View Post
    I called an auto elec and he didn't know if it was operated electrically or by vacuum, and I wasn't sure either. So I called up mitsubishi and gave them the vin number, and they said it will be the contoller assembly $265 but there is none left in Australia so I have to wait 3 weeks for it to come from Japan.

    I pulled off the driver side kick panel and I couldn't see a blue cable anywhere behind there... Where exactly does it run? From the control unit to where?

    By the way, its only an executive and it only has the 3 knobs and a/c, rear demist switches. Not the climate control with the screen.
    Blue cable runs down from behind the controls to where all those white plastic parts are. its behind the centre stack. If you leave the seat where it is, and come in at an angle, you'll see it. If you pretend you're the drivers seat, and crawl under the wheel, it's on your left, at the back.
    subwoofer option audio 12 street series
    front option audio 6 3 way Coaxials
    rear option audio 6x9 3 way Coaxials
    headunit clarion vx401a

  9. #9
    Administrator Madmagna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Victoria
    Posts
    14,963

    Default

    Why dont you drop past here, I have used control units sitting on the shelf for far less and add to that may be simply a matter of a cable has come off, these are cable operated
    Mits-fix E-Bay Store here

    Mits-Fix on Facebook here


  10. #10
    ben205vs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Victoria
    Posts
    234

    Default

    Oh, I pulled the kick panel off from near the bonnet cable. So your saying its on the centre console side? Problem is that now that I have ordered it, i'm not allowed to cancel it. I'm not too worried about the price of the controller assembly as I thought it would be much more.

    I'll take another look and see if I can see any cables that have come off, are loose, or broken.

    I have a few other questions I would like to ask about this car, but I would like to sort out one thing at a time. I couldn't be happier with this TF Magna, its only the 4 cylinder but it still does everything I need it to do haha.
    1997 Mitsubishi TF Magna Executive Sedan, 2.4L 4G64
    2001 Mitsubishi TJ Magna Executive Sedan, 3.5L 6G74

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts