+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 12V power source for LED DRL's?

what i want to know is what circuts here at the main fusebox are acc controlled and what ones are ign controlled? i willbe wiring things like DRL's (ign) guages (acc) inverter (cant decide acc or ign) so need to know what is powered by what.

Quote Originally Posted by Maat1985 View Post
    what i want to know is what circuts here at the main fusebox are acc controlled and what ones are ign controlled? i willbe wiring things like DRL's (ign) guages (acc) inverter (cant decide acc or ign) so need to know what is powered by what.
    Easiest way would be to put the key in the each position and see what works and what doesn't

Quote Originally Posted by Maat1985 View Post
    I've just got delivery of two pairs of Merc style (L shaped) DRLs to be fitted to the Outlander and my car. I also purchased 2 sets of those add-a-circuit mini fuse taps. I had a look at the engine bay fuse box and it looks like all you need to do is following:
    1. A 5 pin relay
    2. Two add-a-circuit fuse taps
    3. DRLs
    4. Use one of the fuse taps to replace fuse 1 or 2 (parker fuses) and hook the cable to pin 86 of the NC relay
    5. Ground pin 85
    6. Use the other fuse tap to replace either fuse 8 (automatic a/c, cooling) or fuse 17 (automatic a/c, engine control) and hook the cable to pin 30 of the NC relay
    7. Hook pin 87a to the +ve wires of both DRLs and ground the -ve wires.

The circuit between pins 30 and 87a is closed when the relay is not energised (parkers are off) and is open when the parkers are on. To make it simple, you can also use a 4 pin NC (normally closed) relay

see i have my own cstom fuse box running power direct from battery to a fuse so i would run a 4pin nc relay after my fuse box with power passing through from battery to my LED's and the trigger side of the relay would take power from an ign or acc source before the factory fuse box.
    mayb i could also use a 5pin so i can wire the extra to the parkers so it is not on when parkers are.

My "Add-A-Circuit" thingys arrived today. Have had to modify one because it wouldn't go in to the wiper fuse spot without the output wire hitting either an adjacent fuse or protruding past the edge of the fuse box.
    Next step is removing the headlights and fitting the LED strips #notfun

Quote Originally Posted by Minotaur View Post
    My "Add-A-Circuit" thingys arrived today. Have had to modify one because it wouldn't go in to the wiper fuse spot without the output wire hitting either an adjacent fuse or protruding past the edge of the fuse box.
    Next step is removing the headlights and fitting the LED strips #notfun
    Mine arrived today as well. Will be planning to do it soon.

I fitted my DRL's today. They work well. It was already getting dark by the time I finished though, so I haven't taken any pictures as yet. Will post some up tomorrow.

OK here are some pics as promised:
    I was able to install without having to remove the headlights at all. I used a re-purposed wire coat hanger to get a path through from the back of the headlight in to the engine bay, using this to fit a draw wire:

I did the same on the other side as well.

Rather than hard-wire the DRL's all the way back to the fuse box, I installed connectors so the headlight assembly can still be removed if required. About $2.75 from Jaycar. They're actually white but I used nylon dye to dye them black:

Picture of the LED strips with crimps attached. I also extended the wires by about 30cm to ensure I would have enough to work with in the engine bay:

I didn't attach the black connectors at this point. I used the draw wires to pull the wiring through, then fitted the connectors. Pics of LED strips installed, and where the wires enter the car. Might have been a bit neater if I had installed them with the headlights removed. I'd also already put my headlight protectors back on:

Wiring in engine bay fuse box. I tapped off the wiper fuse with an Add-A-Circuit:

Installation complete:

With key in ACC position:

Dusk shot:
    Last edited by Minotaur; 16-10-2012 at 01:42 PM.

Looks good. One question though, did you not use an NC relay wired up to the parker fuse using an add-a-circuit tap so that the DRLs turn off when you switch the lights on to make it legal?

Quote Originally Posted by vlad View Post
    Looks good. One question though, did you not use an NC relay wired up to the parker fuse using an add-a-circuit tap so that the DRLs turn off when you switch the lights on to make it legal?
    Nope. I'm not sure that it's illegal as it is? I have seen other vehicles on the road (that have DRL's fitted as standard) that have them on even with the headlights on.
    Easy enough to add a relay at a later date though if required.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information